Bekker's cyst behind the knee
Disease / / June 15, 2016
- How does Bekker's cyst?
- Complications cyst Becker
- What research is being conducted to establish the diagnosis?
- Treatment of cysts Becker
Bekker's cyst - a specific disease, which is not terrible in itself, but its terrible complications.This term refers to the accumulation of inflammatory fluid (not pus) in the lining of the bag on the back of the leg, just below the popliteal fossa.
50% of people have this bag is located between the tendons of muscles (gastrocnemius and semimembranosus), it communicates with the knee joint through a small hole and one of the normal joint.If prolonged inflammation occurs, the fluid in the knee joint, which is produced by and accumulated in the bag mezhsuhozhilnoy acquires the name "Becker cyst."
Causes of cysts Becker:
- injury and inflammation of the menisci of the knee joint;
- rheumatoid arthritis;
Especially in those cases when they are not treated for a long time or treatment chosen is wrong.
How does Bekker's cyst?
Initially, the disease makes itself felt.As the volume of the bag due to the filling of inflammatory liquid man becomes more difficult to straighten the leg and feeling it, he can feel tight and rather painful education below the knee.
As cyst growth straighten the leg becomes more difficult, it is accompanied by pain.Then the pain appear even at rest, straighten the leg is impossible.Joined by symptoms such as a feeling of "pins and needles" or numbness in the feet due to nerve compression cyst extending from the knee to the heel.
Complications cyst Becker
- Violation of the blood supply to the muscles, tendons and even bones due to compression of space-occupying lesions.This can not only lead to constant pain in extremity (including the foot), but also to muscle necrosis, or even osteomyelitis - a very severe inflammation that affects the tibia bone.Osteomyelitis, in turn, can lead to sepsis - blood poisoning;
- Violation of venous drainage from the tissues of the foot and lower leg.The limb starts to swell, its color changes to purple.If a venous stasis there is a fairly long period of time, the color of the limb may change to brown and may appear on the skin sores - damaged skin with constantly weeping surface, which is very hard and long treated.
- by displacement due to a cyst can develop lower leg veins and other complications: thrombosis - blood clots in the veins of the cavity, phlebitis - inflammation of the vein wall (causing severe pain, rise in body temperature, changes in color of course).
- danger of thrombosis and thrombophlebitis is a blood clot that will not always be in the same place.It may "come off" from the vein wall (called thromboembolism) and get into the blood stream vital organs, causing at least some ischemia small portion of such body.The most dangerous consequence of thromboembolic events may be blockage of the major branches of the pulmonary artery that quickly leads to death.
What research is being conducted to establish the diagnosis?
X-ray of the knee joint in this case is not informative, as this kind of cysts are not radio-opaque.To clarify the diagnosis prescribe ultrasound of the knee joint and surrounding tissue, at least - magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).In some cases, using arthroscopy - a joint survey with the help of video equipment that is inserted into the joint through a small incision under local anesthesia.
Treatment of cysts Becker
1. Conservative - is used for cyst of small dimensions, which are not complicated by displacement of tissue, blood vessels and nerves.This type of treatment involves not only receiving anti-inflammatory drugs, but also carrying a puncture cyst.Under local anesthesia, making it a special puncture needle, the liquid is removed and introduced into the cyst cavity corticosteroid having anti-inflammatory and anti-edema effect.
2. Operational.It is used in case of cyst complications.In this case, the incision from which the cyst tie up on both sides and remove.The operation can be carried out and the arthroscopic method, when done a few small incisions, and the surgeon works with special small tools.
20 May, 2016
20 May, 2016