A vaccine for chickenpox - for and against
Disease / / August 12, 2017
- Varicella zoster virus
- disease manifestations
- Grafting - the pros and cons
Varicella zoster virus
causative agent of the disease is the varicella-zoster virus, belonging to the family of herpes viruses.Propagation occurs through airborne droplets.The incubation period lasts for three weeks, when the virus replicates actively in the lymph nodes, liver and spleen.Repeated viremia peak occurs a few hours before the rash appears on the body of the infected.
Infectious process continues until the complete disappearance of all scabs.Ill, as a rule, children under the age of 15 years, with peak incidence between the ages of 2 to 6 years.Adults get sick very often, but they give up to 50% of deaths from chicken pox.Manifestations of the disease
Before the appearance of lesions observed rise in temperature to 38-39 degrees, lack of appetite, weakness and fatigue, the emergence of such symptoms like photophobia.The rash covers the entire body surface, it may appear on mucous membranes of the oral cavity, the vagina.The disease is mild, complications are rare.
In adults, in children with weakened immune systems, children under 1 year of chickenpox occurs in severe, often develop a variety of complications and a high percentage of mortality.
What could be the consequences:
- development of pneumonia;
- bacterial encephalitis (usually found only in adults);
- inflammation of the middle ear;
- secondary skin infection;
- defeat of the facial nerve;
- eye disease;
- of rare - the defeat of the musculoskeletal system (most often associated with the use as a fever-reducing drugs such as paracetamol and analgin), toxic shock syndrome, thrombocytopenia, premature birth.
On this basis, it can be concluded that the disease is not such a harmless, and its manifestations often require hospitalization.After undergoing lifelong disease virus remains in the nerve ganglia, which subsequently in older age can cause diseases such as shingles.This rash appears along the nerves and are accompanied by painful neuralgic pains.The patient has to stay in bed, and sometimes, in the development of complications (paralysis, impaired vision) should be hospitalized in a hospital.What's more important, such a person is a source of infection with chickenpox.
Grafting - the pros and cons
consider the arguments of supporters of vaccination:
- vaccination against varicella helps reduce the risk of disease;
- prevention of long-term effects of such diseases as herpes zoster, which is extremely painful for and tendency to frequent relapses;
- varicella zoster virus can run in the human body, some autoimmune processes, the consequence of which is the development of diabetes of the first type, or systemic lupus erythematosus (and there is a destruction of tissue, where it is, in this case, the pancreas or kidney tissue);
- severe course, atypical manifestations in cases in adulthood, leading to late diagnosis, and sometimes fatal.
What do opponents:
- chickenpox has always been children, the disease is easily portable.Performing vaccinations pushes the disease at older age and doomed to a more severe course, is on the one hand.However, the intervention in the immune processes is a violation of circulation of wild virus that can lead to severe complications of the disease, from which salvation will only be re-lifetime vaccination;
- after vaccination, such patients may be a source of infection for people in contact with them, whose immunity is reduced due to any disease or age;
- may develop the disease after vaccination, though in a milder form.
- When vaccination using attenuated virus.Immunity begins to form immediately and definitively - by the end of the sixth week.Some drugs are administered only once, while others require a double administration.
Contraindications for administration are:
- absolute - pregnancy, immune deficiency;
- relative (medical exemption for a certain time) - fever, and acute exacerbation of chronic diseases, immunosuppressive therapy.
as side effects from the vaccinations may include: pain and redness at the injection site, fever, malaise, rash, allergic reactions.Every parent has the right to decide whether it will make your child vaccinated or not.It is believed that if a child is not ill with chickenpox before 12 years, it must be vaccinated.Yes, that's right.
And what to do with the rest?At this point decide each on their own.Those parents who had chickenpox as a child and later repeatedly suffered attacks of shingles, opt for a decision in favor of vaccination;Those who successfully passed this point, will use the old method and infect their children from sick friends, that they had been ill as a child.Some of them will say thank you, and someone not.One thing is undeniable: it is necessary to do the vaccination, at least prior to a planned pregnancy, so that later, if there is contact with a sick person who is not tormented by the question, and if all is in order with the baby.