Leukocytosis - what is it ?Causes and Treatment
Disease / / August 12, 2017
- Leukocytosis - what is it?
- reasons leukocytosis
- Physiological factors
- Pathological factors
- blood diseases
- Treatment of leukocytosis
- leukocytosis How dangerous?
Leukocytosis - what is it?
White blood cells - red blood cells, support the immune system in the body.They are not homogeneous, there are several varieties of them performing specific functions:
- Neutrophils - kill bacteria via phagocytosis, "devouring" the bacterial cell.
- Monocytes - actively move from the blood into the center of inflammation where utiliruyut large foreign particles.
- Lymphocytes - are responsible for the destruction of viruses caught in the body and anti-tumor immunity.
- Eosinophils and basophils - are involved inallergic reactions.
Normally the number of these cells varies - from 4 to 9 x 109 per liter of blood.Accordingly, leukocytosis - increase their numbers above the norm.Quantifying the severity depends on the cause and the physiological state of the body.
This state is in most cases is a reaction to the impact of factors that can change the constant internal environment (homeostasis).Conventionally, they can be divided into physiological, pathological factors and blood diseases directly.
impact of this group of causes is not a manifestation of the disease, the number of cells increases temporarily, and automatically returns to normal.These include:
- Eating - leads to a slight increase in white blood cells up to 10-12 x 109 per liter of blood, returning them to normal takes place within a few hours.Therefore, blood for clinical analysis is recommended to take an empty stomach.
- Exercise - during muscular work in the body accumulates lactic acid causes an increase in white blood cells.
- Exposure to high or low temperatures.
- Stress, nervous stress.
- Leukocytosis in pregnancy is associated with changes in hormonal levels of women in the second trimester of pregnancy.To eliminate the disease under further investigation.
- Physiological leukocytosis in newborns - after the birth of a child it is necessary to meet the infant with the environment, he added protection against corrosive factors and infections.
This group of the reasons leads to persistent leukocytosis, his return to normal on their own does not occur, and only after appropriate treatment aimed at eliminating the causal factors, namely:
- Bacterial infection - all the bacteria getting intoorganism and induce an inflammatory reaction due to neutrophil leukocytosis.
- Viral infection - increased lymphocytes, which destroy virus infected cells.
- Allergic reactions - by ingestion of the allergen into the body are activated eosinophils and basophils, they secrete specific substances responsible for the symptoms of allergy.
- Heart attacks various organs - is the death of body cells as a result of acute circulatory disorders in it, leads to aseptic (non-bacterial) inflammation.Thus monocytes and neutrophils utilize the dead cells.
- extensive burns - neutrophils and monocytes recycle dead cells of damaged tissues.
- Significant blood loss - is an increase in the number of all blood cells by reducing the volume of its liquid portion (plasma).
- removal of the spleen - the disposal of leukocytes and erythrocytes spleen is responsible, in the absence of which there is an accumulation of old cells in the blood.
- uremia - acute impairment of kidney function causes an increase in the concentration are not derived protein degradation products, leading to intoxication (poisoning).
Such diseases include leukemias, which are characterized by uncontrolled division of malignant cells in the bone marrow.And almost all the white blood cells are defective, unable to carry out its functions.Depending on the severity distinguish several forms of leukemia:
- leukaemic - white blood cell count of 50-80 x 109 per liter;
- subleukemic - 10-50 x 109 per liter;
- leykopenicheskaya - in this form - reduced;
- aleukemic - the almost complete lack thereof.
is worth noting that the causes of leukocytosis in children are the same as in adults, but the rate and extent of increase of the number of white blood cells is much higher.
So, at one and the same infection, the child's body's response is more pronounced than that of an adult.
Leukocytosis - a laboratory component.Its manifestations are directly related to the cause of the disease.Most manifested malaise and fever in bacterial and viral infections.In the case of a heart attack these symptoms joins an intense pain in the affected organ.Leukemia is shown a rise in temperature, bleeding, and general weakness.
Treatment of leukocytosis
Fully aimed at eliminating the reasons for which are used different approaches:
- antibiotics for bacterial infections;
- antiallergic agents;
- restoration of tissues and organs after burns or heart attack;
- detoxification therapy in uremia;
- chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation in the case of leukemia;
- increase in plasma volume after hemorrhage.
leukocytosis How dangerous?
itself is increasing leukocyte reaction to the disease.Identification through clinical blood test, requires further in-depth survey to diagnose the cause.Unexplained reasons, the lack of its treatment are dangerous for the body, because they can lead to complications and the depletion of the immune system.
12 Aug, 2017