Herb Bennett - description and medicinal properties
Folk Remedies / / August 12, 2017
Herb Bennett - Geum urbanum L. Rosaceae family - Rosaceae
perennial herb.It grows everywhere.
Rhizome creeping, thick.Stem erect, branched in the upper part.The lower leaves form a rosette lyre-pinnate, long-petiolate, stem - short-petiolate, upper - sessile, tripartite, with large ovate stipules.Light yellow flowers, solitary, with five petals, located on the tops of the side stems and branches.Fruit - nut assembly consists of many one-seeded nutlets obovate.Flowering and fruiting occurs in the second year, only a rosette of leaves formed in the first year.Blossoms in May - June, fruits ripen in July - August.
used parts of the plant
Medical raw material is the aboveground part and roots.Aerial parts collected during flowering, roots - in late autumn.Chemical composition
found in plant tannins, glycosides, flavonoids, carbohydrates and related compounds, organic acids, nitrogen-containing compounds, tannins, vitamins, minerals, pigments, essential oil, eugenol (cl
Application and therapeutic properties
Herb Bennett has anti-inflammatory, expectorant, astringent, sedative, mild sedative, choleretic, hemostatic, sedative, tonic, antiseptic, increases blood clotting.
As a medicinal plant it is used since ancient times:
- broth roots and aerial part of Geum is used in bleeding, headaches, as a sedative, inflammation of the upper respiratory tract, for sputum by coughing, bronchial asthma, articularand muscular rheumatism, gastric catarrh, dysentery, colitis, flatulence, hemorrhoids, diseases of the kidneys and liver, cholecystitis, nephritis;
- dental - for the treatment of periodontitis, stomatitis, gingivitis, inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity;
- externally - with eye disease in the form of baths - with skin diseases and rickets in children, scrofula, sprains, often mixed with other herbs.
Geum relieves spastic action of barium chloride, it is an effective remedy against snake venom and bites of poisonous insects.It is taken to improve and enhance potency in men.
In Tibetan medicine, the roots of avens are used for diarrhea, as an astringent, hemostatic, antipyretic, laxative, fixing, in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;in the eastern traditional medicine - pulmonary tuberculosis and other lung diseases.
- Young leaves can be eaten as a salad.Rhizome having clove smell, it is used as a seasoning for dishes instead of cinnamon and cloves.
- For decoction of 15 g roots crushed, pour 200 ml of boiled water, in a boiling water bath for 30 minutes, cool 10 minutes without taking a bath at room temperature, filtered.Take 1/3 cup 2-3 times a day after meals.
As Herb Bennett drugs increase the clotting of blood, it is not recommended to take them with thrombophlebitis and propensity to thrombosis.