Laser vision correction : pros and cons
Miscellaneous / / August 12, 2017
security operations do not exist.And even in such a popular way to correct nearsightedness, astigmatism, farsightedness as laser vision correction, the pros and cons are also present.Of course, the duty of doctors is to inform customers about the possible consequences, but they are usually limited to contraindications, because patients - stream, and a lot of information.Therefore, before you decide on a modern and minimal, but, still, surgical intervention - carefully examine the pros and cons.
rumored home ...
On the topic of laser vision correction, there are many speculations, which may frighten unsophisticated reader and get up the opportunity to improve eyesight without even having got to the doctor.
most popular and erroneous opinions:
- during surgery cut layer of the cornea;
- correction can not be done nulliparous women;
- during surgery can cause blindness;
- vision then necessarily falls;
- need to wear a blindfold while vision is not fully restored ...
We will not engage in debunking
What is laser surgery?
operation is performed on the cornea - convex transparent outer shell fabric that protects the eyes from dust and damage is part photorefractive device.Corneal tissue does not contain blood vessels, therefore, lends itself well to laser modeling.
first surgery vision correction were conducted in 30-ies of the last century.Then they called not a "laser correction" and "radial keratotomy".When keratotomy incisions were applied to the cornea, which grow together, changed the shape of the eye "lenses" that improves eyesight.The result of operations is largely dependent on the individual abilities of the person, in particular - the rate of regeneration of ocular tissues.This procedure does not apply to the '80s, but managed to become the "progenitor" of the majority of myths about the dangers of laser correction.In 1976 he was the first to use an excimer laser - a modern analogue correction.The essence of modern
correction procedure: evaporation corneal layers under the influence of the laser, resulting "lens" receives an anatomically correct shape.Visual acuity is restored within a couple of days.Besides being able to be close to the desired "unity", laser vision correction has pros and cons that may influence the decision to get rid once and for all from the lenses or glasses.
advantages and possibilities of laser correction
operation takes place under local anesthesia in a couple of seconds (in general, the procedure takes about 10-15 minutes).The laser operates at points defined in the computer diagnosis.In some cases (procedure Lasik), using a special device is folded the upper layer of the cornea, the laser vaporizes the "extra" layers, after which the fabric is returned in place and securely.In just a few hours (for each individual organism) occurs epithelial regeneration.
- quick rehabilitation period (day, maximum - two);
- after surgery the patient can go home, having received recommendations for fast recovery;
- full recovery of visual acuity for 1-3 days (depending on the capacity for regeneration);
- limited depth of the laser effects only on a small portion of the cornea to ensure the safety of the remaining tissue procedures;
- possibility of a return of people with severe astigmatism, hyperopia, myopia any stage.
Contraindications to laser correction:
- eye diseases: glaucoma, cataract, iridocyclitis, various inflammatory ocular tissues and eyelids;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding (including 2 months after it);
- presence of systemic diseases: diabetes, AIDS, psoriasis, asthma, eczema, neurodermatitis;
- tendency of the body to the formation of keloids;
- drug addiction, alcoholism;
- mental disorders.
From unpleasant sensations: some patients reported increased tearing, burning sensation of the lung after surgery.The optimal age for the correction is the period 18-40 years (previously impossible - the eye tissue is not formed, and the age hyperopia not corrected in the later stages).
With all the advantages, in the laser correction has two significant minus:
- it does not eliminate the problem, because of which there was blurred vision;
- vision may diminish again over time.
So you should think twice before going to the hospital for surgery to laser vision correction.