Medications for heartburn : a list of effective remedies
Medicine / / August 12, 2017
- Why there is heartburn?
- effects of prolonged high acidity
- The main types of antacids
- suction means local action
- nonabsorbable topical agents
Heartburn - is the result of irritation of the esophagus acidic stomach contents.It exhibits characteristic burning sensation in the chest behind the breastbone.Fighting heartburn is the use of drugs, neutralizing the excess hydrochloric acid in the stomach - antacids.
Why there is heartburn?
glandular cells (parietal cells) of the gastric mucosa was synthesized hydrochloric acid needed for the process of digestion of proteins and activation of the enzyme pepsin.There is a measure of normal acidity - pH.If the value is below pH 1.5, the concentration of hydrochloric acid in the stomach is increased.This condition may be accompanied by a feeling of heartburn is associated with the reflux of hydrochloric acid into the esophagus mucosa and burn it.Also, increased acidity increases the risk of peptic ulcer disease due to damage to the muc
- Oily and spicy foods with a lot of animal protein - grilled meat, smoked sausage.
- Drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Carbonated beverages, coffee, black tea.
- Irregular eating, long intervals between meals.
effects of prolonged high acidity
damaging effect of the increased concentration of hydrochloric acid can lead to the development of a number of pathological conditions:
- Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the esophagus (esophagitis), with the formation of erosions in it.
- gastric damage and inflammation (gastritis) and small intestine (duodenitis), followed by the development of peptic ulcer.
- increased risk of the cancer process in the esophagus or stomach.
The main types of antacids
To reduce feelings of heartburn and to get rid of him, to prevent the effects of increased acidity of gastric antacids are used in modern medicine.There are the following pharmacological groups of drugs:
- Remedies for Heartburn local action - suction and nonabsorbable.
- Drugs that decrease the synthesis of hydrochloric acid of the stomach cells.
suction means local action
action of this group of drugs is based on the chemical reaction of neutralization of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.They represent the various compounds of alkaline - baking soda, calcium carbonate.During the reaction, neutralize the acid gas formation occurs (CO2) which cause belching.The advantage of this group of drugs is a rapid effect, which occurs in the minute.However, a large number of deficiencies led to almost complete cessation of the use of these drugs:
- formation of carbon dioxide - is stretching the stomach wall and the mechanical stimulation of the parietal cells.
- «ricochet" syndrome - the rapid decline in the subsequent acidity causes the opposite effect of its larger increase.Suction
- alkali compounds from the stomach into the blood, can lead to alkalosis (alkalization of blood).
Today the pharmaceutical market are only a few drugs in this group:
- Rennie - contains magnesium and calcium carbonate.It is a chewable tablet for quick disposal of heartburn.The drug is recommended for occasional use.
- Vikalin - combined agent containing sodium hydrogen carbonate, magnesium carbonate and bismuth subnitrate.Available in tablet form for oral administration, is used in the treatment of peptic ulcer disease, as bismuth has enveloping effect and protects the ulcer from negative influences.
nonabsorbable topical agents
drugs for heartburn that group also reduces the acidity by chemical neutralization, but without the formation of carbon dioxide and absorption of components in the blood from the stomach.This is possible through the use of magnesium and aluminum salts.They have received more widespread, thanks to such features:
- no formation of carbon dioxide - respectively, does not stretch the stomach and burping walls;
- no changes in the composition of blood, as the drug did not absorbed into the blood;
- heartburn, these drugs are not cropped as fast as you soaked up the local media, but the effect is more durable and does not cause symptoms of "rebound".
list of drugs in this group is large enough, in today's pharmaceutical market, they are represented by such major drugs:
- Fosfalyugel - local antacid in the form of a gel bags.It comprises aluminum phosphate which reduces the acidity of not lower than the normal level.Also, this drug has properties sorbent (binds toxins in the stomach and intestines), so it can be used with food poisoning.
- Maalox - tablets for oral administration, composed of aluminum and magnesium hydroxide, is used inside with heartburn.
- Almagell - gel with the existing substance aluminum and magnesium hydroxide, used in the combined treatment of peptic ulcer disease, as due to the presence of the drug in the composition of the anesthetic benzocaine (Almagel A) is able to reduce the severity of pain in the stomach.
drugs that reduce the activity of parietal cells and the synthesis of hydrochloric acid are taken only on prescription, as they can reduce the acidity of below normal (ranitidine, omeprazole).
modern pharmaceutical market allows you to effectively deal with heartburn, but it is available at a constant, it is necessary to consult a doctor for consultation and examination.