Muscle relaxants in osteochondrosis : mechanism of action and side effects
Medicine / / May 20, 2016
- How do muscle relaxants?
- Side effects when taking muscle relaxants
For the treatment of degenerative disc disease, along with other medications, muscle relaxants are used, which reduce the tone of the skeletal muscles by stopping the flow of nerve impulses.As a result, the skeletal muscles do not contract.
Preparations of this type are divided into two major groups:
- peripheral effects;
- central effects.
osteochondrosis is often accompanied by painful spasms of muscles (reflex syndrome), so when treatment is given only to products of the second group - tizanidine (sirdalud) Mydocalmum baclofen.The damaged area of the spine immobilized, ie, eliminates muscle imbalance.
For the duration of the impact of muscle relaxants are:
- with ultrashort exposure period - up to 7 minutes;
- short period of exposure - about 20 minutes;
- with an average period of exposure - about 40 minutes;
- prolonged exposure - longer than 40-minutes.
How do muscle relaxants?
manifests as spasm of the back muscles (muscular-tonic syndrome or reflex) In the first stage of osteochondrosis protective reaction of the organism.After some time, it is because of this phenomenon increases the intensity of the pain - the pain impulse is sent to the central nervous system from the brain goes "team" to increase the spasm.There is a so-called vicious circle.It was under these conditions and muscle relaxants are appointed.
These drugs not only inhibit the reflex syndrome, but also relieve pain and soothe.Most often they are used to improve the efficiency of the gym, massage, manual therapy, blockades and physiotherapy.However, muscle relaxants designate everyone who is sick of an osteochondrosis, it is impossible - because of the abundance of side effects.
Besides osteoarthritis, muscle relaxants are appointed:
- during major surgery in the chest and abdomen, reduction of dislocation;
- during bronchoscopy, endotracheal intubation;
- as a component of electroconvulsive therapy;
- of tetanus;
- for diseases of the central nervous system.
This group of drugs is available in tablet form and as a liquid for injection.
Experts do not recommend the use of any of the muscle relaxants for more than seven days after the onset of acute period, as marked by physical dependence on them in the form of strengthening spasms and insomnia.If necessary, the type of long-term use of medication changes.
Side effects when taking muscle relaxants
Most of the side effects caused by a decrease in blood pressure after taking muscle relaxants, entailing dizziness, impaired coordination of movements, and asthenia.In some cases, patients even lose consciousness.
Reception muscle relaxants can cause:
- dry mouth, nausea and even vomiting;
- constipation or the opposite phenomenon - diarrhea;
- decreased concentration, drowsiness, confusion, that completely excludes their use for people with professions such as controller, driver;
- urination disorders;
- allergy in the form of disturbances in breathing and exanthema;
- decrease in sensitivity and muscle function;
- changes in the emotional sphere in the form of depression or irritability, and euphoria;
- increase in body weight (with prolonged use).
example, baclofen and sirdalud numbed, weakened muscle spasms, improving the overall condition of the patient.But at the same time they reduce the blood pressure, causing dizziness, nausea and even vomiting.
Contraindications to receive muscle relaxants:
- increased sensitivity to this group of medicines;
- seizures and epilepsy;
- hepatic or renal failure;
- drug addiction;
- Parkinson's disease;
- pregnancy and lactation.
When osteochondrosis relaxants really improve the overall condition of patients, mainly by improving the efficiency of drug therapy, physical therapy, massage and physical therapy.But experts are extremely cautious in their purpose because of the large number of side effects.
01 Jun, 2016