Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs
Analyses And Studies / / August 12, 2017
- What can be assessed by Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs?
- advantages of Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs:
- When to make a Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs?
- How is the Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs?
reduction UZDG means "Doppler ultrasound."This is a relatively inexpensive and informative technique, allowing not only vizulizirovat vessels of the lower extremities, but also to estimate the speed of blood flow in them, and many other parameters.
method is based on the Doppler effect: ultrasound machine emits waves of a certain frequency, these waves pass through the tissues (muscles, ligaments, tendons), reach the blood vessels are reflected from moving in the vessels of the blood cells, and with a different frequency are returned back to the sensor.Electronic components of the apparatus for the study compared the frequency of the emitted and received waves at the output, convert them into a picture, which sees the doctor-sonolog on the screen a special monit
What can be assessed by Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs?
- rate of blood flow through the arteries and veins;
- presence and degree of superficial varicose veins of the lower extremities;
- Status valves lower limbs;
- presence of an aneurysm (widening) of the arteries of the lower extremities;
- presence of a blood clot, its size, structure.You can also calculate how much it is mobile (as far as it is likely that he can come off);
- Rate inflow and outflow of blood to organs and tissues;
- presence of atherosclerotic plaques in the arteries of the lower extremities, the degree of stenosis (vessel overlap) of these plaques;
- condition perforating veins (veins that represent the connections between the deep and superficial veins of the lower leg: sometimes varicose disease is caused by diseases of the veins).
During the Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs studied such vessels:
- lower hollow Vienna,
- iliac vessels (veins and arteries),
- femoral vessels,
- arteries and deep veins of the leg and foot,
- superficial and perforating veins.
All of these studies are necessary to diagnose correctly.In some cases, other qualifying research may be needed after the ultrasonography (angiography, MRI with contrast).Doppler ultrasound is an informative and safe method (ionizing radiation is not used it).
also a USDS (vascular ultrasound duplex scanning) - use it to investigate the anatomy and blood vessels, and study the full set of blood flow characteristics, and triplex ultrasound study - assessment of blood flow, anatomy and extent of vascular permeability.But in the case of the primary diagnoses of vascular disease rather undergo ultrasonography.
advantages of Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs:
- Security (it can be passed to children and pregnant women);
- speed data evaluation: the result the doctor can you at once, and immediately after the study conclusion is issued;
- No age restrictions;
- non-invasive method - no need for injections, punctures the skin and other manipulations;
- relative cheapness of the study.
When to make a Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs?
This study may be assigned a doctor after the patient's complaints:
a) From the arteries:
- cooling of the lower extremities;
- increased leg fatigue;
- frequent feeling of "crawling ants";
- muscle cramps shin or thigh;
- lameness in the absence of inflammatory changes in the joints;
- pain in the legs;
- reducing the sensitivity of the skin of feet;
- pale skin on the feet;
- long healing wounds or ulcers.
b) On the side veins:
- visually visible varicose veins;
- lower limb edema, which increased in the evening;
- change color to red-purple, brown or brownish;
- trophic ulcers;
- violet "stars" on their feet.
How is the Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs?
as conventional ultrasound diagnosis is given on an outpatient basis.You come into the office, his feet on the loose clothes, lay down on the couch.Medical sonolog gets on his feet a special colorless gel, the appropriate sensor to decrease friction and tighter fit it to the skin.Next, the study, when the doctor sets the sensor in place of the projection of the surveyed vessels.Visualization of these vessels occurs on the machine's monitor.
If the unit is equipped with a color mapping, the picture on the screen is color: blue blood vessels - are those in which blood flow is directed away from the sensor (this is not necessarily a vein), red - blood which flows in the direction of the sensor.You can also hear the specific noise - repeatedly amplified sound device, which is obtained when driving on the blood vessels.
study lasts no more than 45 minutes.Preparation for it is not required (as opposed to internal organs ultrasound).After UZDG you can safely return to normal life.It must be remembered that the conclusion UZDG leg vessels is not a diagnosis - treatment and selection of treatment provides the vascular surgeon or phlebologist.