PLT in blood test - what is it ?
Analyses And Studies / / May 05, 2016
- PLT platelets in the blood analysis.What does this mean?
- Analysis of the PLT: decoding
- Thrombocytopenia Thrombocytosis
platelets (Platelets) - non-nuclear cells.These are the smallest blood components, their disk-shaped explains another name for platelets - platelets.Origin of platelets occurs in the bone marrow.PLT life time is 10 days, after which they are destroyed in the spleen and liver, and in their place new cells arrive.
PLT main function - involved in haemostasis (blood clotting).Because of platelets occurs regeneration of damaged tissues and vessels of the power.However, few people know that these little cells
PLT in a blood test.What does this mean?
absolute number of platelets counted when collecting blood from a vein or finger.Norma PLT in blood test is the same for adults of different sexes and is 170-320h109 cells / l.There is also a definition of a normal number of platelets in proportion to the erythrocytes (Fonio method) at 1 million red blood cells normally account for 60-70 thousand PLT..
slight decrease / increase in the number of blood platelets is not a cause for serious concern.Only a reduction of up to 140h109 and below, and an increase of more than 400h109 requires attention and indicates serious pathology.
Important!Platelet count varies depending on the time, physical effort (in this case increases PLT) in menstrual / postpartum women.So, naturally fall in the rate at 20-50h109 for women in the menstrual period.
Children platelet count is different from the level for adults.The rate for children:
- newborns - 100-420h109;
- up to 1 year - 150-350h109;
- older age - 180-320h109.
Usually, abnormal babies is considered the number of platelets that is outside 150-450h109.
Analysis of the PLT: decoding
increased rate, or the understated norm indicates the presence of any pathology.Adequate PLT analysis can hold only a competent doctor.Self-examination and diagnosis by the patient may lead to unjustified panic.
index PLT below the norm indicates the presence of thrombocytopenia.Such a condition may indicate the presence of:
- Leukemia acute / chronic stage.
- Viral inflammation - influenza, malaria and childhood diseases (measles, chicken pox, rubella).
- Defeats systemic nature of connective tissue (dermatomyositis, scleroderma, lupus erythematosus).
- anemia caused by lack of vit.B12 and folic acid, as well as aplastic and megaloblastic.
- thyroid disease.
- thrombocytopenic purpura, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
- malignant metastasis to the bone marrow. "
- Hodgkin's disease.
Important!The development of thrombocytopenia is possible with the use of (long-term or in high doses) of certain drugs, such as aspirin, Biseptolum, reopirin.Often, children with parasitic infestations (helminthiasis) a decrease in the number of blood platelets.
If PLT lowered, it can manifest bleeding gums, nosebleeds, bleeding in the mucous membranes, bruising (bruises), even the slightest injury.Thrombocytopenia during pregnancy increases the chance of miscarriage.
PLT increased (thrombocytosis) under the following conditions:
- Chronic diseases (tuberculosis, chronic colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc...).
- Severe blood loss, transfusion of blood components with a low platelet count.
- splenectomy (surgical removal of the spleen), thus increasing the PLT there about 2 months.
- stomach cancer.
- malignant blood cancer (primary thrombocytosis).
- Hodgkin's disease (10-15% of cases decreased PLT).
- Because of medication (usually develop thrombocytosis indicated in side effects and is contraindicated to receive).
Thrombocytosis - serious signal for patients with cardiovascular disease (varicose veins, ischemia of the heart muscle) and a violation of cerebral circulation, as this increases the risk of complications (heart attack, stroke, thrombosis) due to the possible formation of blood clots.
PLT blood analysis - an important indicator of health.Primarily, the platelet component is important for early detection of severe diseases (including the latent disease throughout).Determination PLT abnormalities helps to establish the diagnosis in a timely manner, thereby greatly enhancing the efficiency of treatment.
12 May, 2016
12 May, 2016
12 May, 2016