High hemoglobin in women , men and children : Causes and Treatment
Analyses And Studies / / May 02, 2016
- Methods for determining the level of hemoglobin
- Reasons for increasing hemoglobin
- features change depending on gender and age
- Why is high hemoglobin in adolescence?
- What is dangerous high hemoglobin?
- How to reduce high hemoglobin
Methods for determining the level of hemoglobin
Quantitative determination of hemoglobin in the blood is carried out using automated hematology analyzers.The operation principle is based on the translation of all forms of hemoglobin in the blood contained in the same and subsequent photometric evaluation of the color intensity of the solution, which is directly proportional to the amount of hemoglobin.
The main indicators of hemoglobin, are reflected in the result:
- Hb - corresponds to the concentration of hemoglobin in the blood.
- SIT - the average content of hemoglobin in the red blood cell has a value in the differential diagnosis of anemia.
- MCHC - mean concentration of hemoglobin in the red blood cell, represents the ratio of the volume of red blood cell hemoglobin in the cells is indicative of analyzer error.
- LHD - hemoglobin, low density is a marker of hypochromic anemia and iron deficiency state.
Reasons for increasing hemoglobin
Increased hemoglobin in the blood is a consequence of various abnormalities in the body's condition or symptom of disease.These include:
State, accompanied by a decrease in the number of plasma haemoconcentration and as a consequence, increase hemoglobin levels:
- intensive exercise;
- extensive burns.
condition of chronic hypoxia, in which the increase in hemoglobin is compensatory in nature:
- cardiovascular disease - congenital heart defects with cyanosis ( "blue" type), chronic cardiopulmonary failure;
- living in areas of high mountains, climbing;
- alveolar hypoventilation obesity;
- smoking - leads to the formation of inactive karbgemoglobina (HbCO), unable to connect the oxygen molecules;
- methemoglobinemia - a disease associated with increased abnormal forms of hemoglobin, which is firmly bonded to an oxygen molecule and is not able to give the tissues of oxygen.The disease is hereditary, acquired forms also occur, caused by toxic effects of certain chemicals.
State, accompanied by increased formation of red blood cells and hemoglobin:
- true politsetimiya (erythremia, primary polycythemia) - neoplastic myeloproliferative disease;
- enhanced production of erythropoietin with tumor diseases, such as hepatocellular carcinoma, in diseases of the kidneys (hydronephrosis, polycystic, vascular disease).
- increase the body's levels of androgens, corticosteroids in adrenogiperkortitsizme, chronic administration of androgenic agents.
toxic effects of chemicals:
- nitrite, drugs such as phenacetin, antipyrine, sulfonamides lead to the formation of pathological forms of hemoglobin: methemoglobin and sulfgemoglobin;
- chronic intoxication cobalt - causes damage to the heart muscle and the development of emphysema, increase the number of red blood cells and hemoglobin.
falsely elevated values observed in the study under the following conditions:
- at hyperskeocytosis;
- high blood neutral fat - which is why it is recommended to carry out blood tests on an empty stomach.
features change depending on gender and age
Elevated hemoglobin in men is often caused by smoking, performing heavy physical work, work in hazardous industries, but do not forget about the possible somatic pathology.
for infants is characterized by the physiological condition of high blood hemoglobin.This figure falls within the next few weeks of life.High hemoglobin in a child older should not be left unattended as a regular detection of elevated values may indicate the development of the pathology of the cardiovascular system, kidneys, violation of hematopoiesis.
Single changes in the analysis may be due to:
- acute diseases bronchopulmonary system;
- violation of water-salt metabolism, accompanied by dehydration.
Why is high hemoglobin in adolescence?
Increase values in adolescents may be related to the revitalization of the sex glands, testosterone production and increased production of red blood cells.In addition, high levels of hemoglobin can be caused by conditions such as:
- active sports;
- reception of anabolic steroids;
Elevated hemoglobin in women is less common than in men.Because of their physiological characteristics of women is more common anemia.If in the general blood test revealed high levels of hemoglobin values, then it is a cause for further examination in order to exclude a pathology of internal organs and cancer.
during pregnancy tend to decrease the hemoglobin values due to increased volume of circulating blood and blood thinners.But cases of detection of high hemoglobin found:
- in 1 trimester index increases can be caused by dehydration, vomiting in the background due to the development of early preeclampsia.
- Increasing the amount of hemoglobin in the second and third trimester indicate a possible somatic diseases pregnant women, and requires further examination.
Most often accompanies high hemoglobin state of chronic hypoxia, so signs will be:
- frequent headaches;
- sleep disorders, drowsiness during the day;
- decreased appetite;
- depression, apathy.
If elevated hemoglobin in the blood due to the absolute erythrocytosis, is characterized by the following symptoms:
- discoloration of the skin - due to high content of red blood cells the skin takes on a reddish hue;
- enlarged liver and spleen;
- propensity to thrombosis.
the presence of kidney damage develops hypertension.
What is dangerous high hemoglobin?
Excessive hemoglobin content in the blood can eventually lead to serious complications.The effects of high hemoglobin - an increase in blood viscosity and a tendency to thrombosis, which may contribute to the development of:
- pulmonary embolism.
- acute myocardial infarction.
- mesenteric arterial thrombosis.
- ischemic stroke.
How to reduce high hemoglobin
What if in the analysis of hemoglobin values exceed the normal range?The following methods are used for the correction of hemoglobin levels:
- Meals with a high hemoglobin intended to limit the consumption of animal protein, particularly red meat, offal, as well as iron-containing vegetables and fruits red.Preference is given to legumes, soy and seafood.It is recommended to carry out the correction of the water regime and drink a day for at least 2 liters of fluid.
- the presence of obesity is assigned unloading diet.
- Termination effects of toxic factors (nicotine, nitrite, cobalt vapors).
- prescribe drugs that can thin out the blood: acetylsalicylic acid, which is taken over a quarter of a tablet before going to bed.
- cancels iron supplements and vitamin complexes, containing vitamins B, if there is their application.
- In some cases, oxygen therapy is conducted.
Thus, high hemoglobin figures may indicate trouble in the body, and in a situation where there are inflated figures in the general analysis of blood is regularly required to carry out activities aimed at the identification and elimination of the causes of increase in hemoglobin.
28 May, 2016
28 May, 2016
28 May, 2016