Antibodies to TPO ( thyroid peroxidase )
Analyses And Studies / / May 02, 2016
- Indications for analysis
- Normal values indicator ATTPO
- ATTPO high level - what does it mean?
- How to prepare for the study
Thyroid peroxidase (TPO) - an enzyme necessary for the normal functioning of the thyroid gland.With his participation produced and included in the synthesis of thyroid hormone active form of iodine.In some people with certain changes in the organism, this enzyme is blocked by antibodies, respectively thyroid hormones are synthesized in insufficient quantities, and suffers from all endocrine function.
Inherently antibodies to TPO - a vivid example of a
Indications for analysis
In adults, a study carried out in the presence of hyper or hypothyroidism to determine the most likely cause of these conditions (autoimmune genesis or not).In addition, a blood test for ATTPO necessary when persistent increase of the thyroid gland (goiter, including diffuse toxic), chronic inflammation of the body (thyroiditis).Such states as ophthalmopathy and tight crus swelling, also require screening for microsomal antibodies, as are symptoms characteristic of Graves' disease and myxedema, respectively.
In newborns test ATTPO shown in those cases where the mother before or during pregnancy had a problem with the thyroid gland, and was determined by a high level of antibodies to TPO, or if the child was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
Thus, to examine the thyroid gland, in particular to get tested for ATTPO, endocrinologists recommend the following situations:
- if symptoms associated with dysfunction of the thyroid gland, - accelerated heartbeat, blood pressure fluctuations, gratuitous weight loss, hand tremor,sleep disorders, a significant increase in cancer, bulging eyes, severe dryness of the skin, or vice versa strong humidity, etc.
- If the results of other studies indicate that the thyroid is not working properly.
- In autoimmune diseases involving a dysfunction of the thyroid gland.
- When a person has risk factors (eg, in pregnant women with a family history of autoimmune thyroiditis).
- When female infertility and problems with carrying a pregnancy.
Normal values indicator ATTPO
Norma ATTPO index depends on the method by which the analysis and measurement units, ie in different laboratories, these figures may vary.If the amount of antibody is measured in units / ml, normal for all age indicator is considered below 5.6 U / ml.At the same time the rate of women is no different from that of men.
However, it should be noted that a small number of people, especially in women older ATTPO on the test can be positive even in the absence of any symptoms of disease or changes in the other indicators of thyroid function.Doctors consider this condition in different ways: as a variant of the physiological norm, as a research method or error, as a sign of the possibility of occurrence of problems with the thyroid gland in the future.
ATTPO high level - what does it mean?
Just want to emphasize that the level of antibodies to peroxidase endocrinologist always evaluates together with the results of tests for thyroid hormones and TSH.Also take into account the patients' symptoms and pathological data from the doctor during examination of the patient and of the instrumental thyroid studies (particularly US).That is the only high figure ATTPO insufficient for diagnosis.
diseases in which antibodies to TPO levels increased significantly:
- diffuse or nodular toxic goiter;
- thyroiditis, including autoimmune;
- postpartum thyroid dysfunction;
- unexplained hypothyroidism.
addition, microsomal antibodies may be elevated in people with abnormalities of other organs and systems: systemic lupus erythematosus, pernicious anemia, rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases.
How to prepare for the study
ATTPO To determine the concentration of venous blood is taken.Donating it should be on an empty stomach, at rest, you can not smoke at least 30 minutes before the procedure.Previously advised to discuss with your doctor the need for the abolition of drugs taken before delivery of the analysis.