ESR in the blood : norm and pathology
Analyses And Studies / / August 12, 2017
- What is ROE
- What shows ESR
- Causes increase ROE
- reasons for the decrease ROE
- How is the definition of ROE
- Preparing for analysis
What is ROE
Abbreviation ESR stands for erythrocyte sedimentation rate.It shows the rate at which erythrocytes settle for one hour at creating conditions to prevent blood clotting and thrombus formation.For this purpose, a special calibrated capillary glass with millimeter incisions performed blood sampling with amended solution of sodium citrate which prevents clotting.Capillary with typed in his blood is left for an hour in a
What shows ESR
Norma ESR in blood is 1-10 mm per hour.In women, this number is higher 2-15 mm per hour.Increase or decrease in sedimentation rate index primarily associated with various disorders of physical and colloid plasma state, due to changes in the ratio of proteins in various pathological conditions.
Causes increase ROE
Increased sedimentation rate occurs due to adhesion of red blood cells with an increase in plasma levels of certain proteins (fibrin, immunoglobulins).This occurs in such pathological conditions:
- Infectious diseases are caused by viruses and bacteria with an increase in the level of antibodies in the plasma, and acute phase proteins of inflammation.
- acute inflammatory processes in the body at any site.
- hemorrhage, leading to a decrease in the number of red blood cells.Anemia
- by reducing the number of erythrocytes that leads to more rapid subsidence.
- autoimmune pathology, accompanied by increased levels of immunoglobulins in the blood - rheumatism, rheumatoid arthritis, glomerulonephritis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
- Taking certain lekartsvennyh funds - salicylic acid derivatives (NSAIDs).
- Pathology of endocrine glands, accompanied by changes in their functional activity - increased secretion of thyroid hormones (thyroxine and triiodothyronine).
- Oncologic pathology - malignancy of any localization leads to a significant change in the ratio of plasma proteins and increase ROE of more than 50 mm per hour.
- hyperfibrinogenemia - increased synthesis of fibrinogen (a protein involved in blood coagulation) liver cells.
elevated ESR due to these causal factors has different expressions, depending on the concentration of proteins in the plasma.
reasons for the decrease ROE
osedaniyav Lowering the blood test speed is mainly due to the increase in the number of red blood cells by the action of the causal factors:
- reactive increase in the number of formed elements cells (polycythemia).
- erythremia - tumor blood disorder in which there is significantly increased hemoglobin and red blood cells;
- hemoglobinopathies - hemoglobin synthesis restructured molecule (hemoglobin);
- sickle cell anemia - changing the shape of red blood cells, which reduces their sedimentation rate;
- liver disease, in which the reduced synthesis of the main components of plasma protein - viral hepatitis, jaundice, cirrhosis (degeneration of liver cells in which they are replaced by connective fibrous tissue), toxic hepatitis (alcohol, drugs);
- high content of albumin in the blood, which increase the viscosity of plasma and reduce the sedimentation rate of the formed elements.
How is the definition of ROE
The most common technique is the method of determining the ESR Panchenkova.To this end, the finger blood is typed into a special glass capillary with millimeter incisions.After the addition of sodium citrate to prevent clotting (anticoagulant direct action), capillary mounted in a vertical position.After one hour, lab counts how many millimeters settled erythrocytes.Embodiment (hardly used) determining the ESR is Westergren method in which blood taken from a vein and placed in a special graduated tube.
Preparing for analysis
Determination of ESR performed in complex clinical analysis.Typically, the material is taken from the finger (capillary blood) in the morning on an empty stomach.It is also desirable for a day to study not eat fatty, fried, spicy food and alcohol.Before delivery of blood it is advisable not to smoke, to limit the physical and emotional stress.
ROE is an objective informative laboratory test that helps in conjunction with the results of other studies and the clinical picture, the doctor to identify the underlying disease.