Epikantalnye eye wrinkles
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 27, 2016
Epikantalnye folds epikant, anyway - the folds of the upper eyelid in the inner corner of the eye, or vekonosovye creases Mongoloid fold, Mongolian folds, vertical folds at the inner corner of the eyes of a man, formed by the upper eyelid skin to varying degrees covering teartubercle.
upper eyelid skin covers the inner corners of the eyes.The fold extends from the nose to the inner side of the eyebrows.Epikantalnye fold more common in people of Asian descent, and often - in children with Down syndrome.
Epikantalnye folds can be seen in young children before they bridge begins to grow.
Epikantalnye folds may be normal for some non-Asian infants.However, they can also be associated with certain heavy (mostly genetic) disorders, including such as:
- Down's syndrome (trisomy for chromosome 21 - a form of genomic pathology in which most karyotype is presented. 47 chromosomes instead of the normal 46, because the chromosome 21-th pair, instead of the normal two copies presented th
- fetal alcohol syndrome (TSA or the FAS - Fetal alcohol syndrome - alcoholic embriofetopatiya, fetal alcohol syndrome, fetal alcohol effects - various incurable physical and mental defects, deviations in psychophysical development of the child, including short stature and small head and brain, the cause of which iswoman drinking ethyl alcohol, or otherwise - alcohol - before and during pregnancy, and the most serious consequence of heavy use of alcohol a pregnant woman);
- Turner syndrome (or Turner - chromosomal disease, accompanied by the characteristic abnormalities of physical development, short stature and sexual infantilism; monosomy for the X chromosome (XO), includes several conditions, of which monosomy the X - the absence of the entire sex chromosomes -It is the most common chromosomal disorder in which all or part of one of the sex chromosomes is missing or has other abnormalities).;
- phenylketonuria (PKU - phenylpyruvic mental retardation - a hereditary disease fermentopathia groups associated with impaired metabolism of amino acids, especially phenylalanine, accompanied by the accumulation of phenylalanine and its toxic products, which leads to a heavy defeat CNS, manifested often - as a violation of intellectual development);
- Williams syndrome (or "elf face" syndrome - a syndrome that occurs as a result of hereditary chromosomal rearrangement, people suffering from this syndrome have a specific appearance and are characterized by the general mental retardation during the development of certain areas of intelligence);
- Noonan syndrome (Ulrich-Noonan - terneroidny syndrome with normal karyotype - a rare congenital disorder is inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern, is often run in families, but sometimes occurs sporadically syndrome requires a phenotype characteristic of Turner syndrome.individuals, male and female with a normal genotype; inherited autosomal dominant disease);
- syndrome Rubinstein-Teybi (or syndrome of wide I fingers and toes, a specific person, and mental retardation; includes a plurality of defects, of which the most common are the combination of intellectual impairment (mental retardation) of varying severity with speech disorders, craniofacial and fingerabnormalities, impaired, and the boys also - with displays of sexual underdevelopment);
- blepharophimosis syndrome (a rare, congenital, autosomal domiiantnoe disease, is characterized by congenital malformation, the first place are the blepharophimosis, dental hypoplasia, hearing loss, mental retardation).
Treatment and care
Usually epikantalnyh folds there is no need of home care.
This symptom usually before or during the first healthy child survey.The patient should contact their doctor if they notice epikantalnye folds in the child's eyes, and their cause is unknown.
doctor or nurse examined the patient and will ask him questions about medical history and symptoms.The questions may include, for example, the following:
- whether any members of the family are available that have Down's syndrome or other genetic disorders;
- whether there is a family history of mental disability or other birth defects that can be inherited.
child is not Asian, born with epikantalnymi folds, can be checked for additional signs of Down syndrome or other genetic disorders.
12 May, 2016