Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 27, 2016
Alternative names: elasticity of the skin, loss of skin elasticity
Tension or stress state of membranes of living cells of the skin - the skin's ability to change shape and then return to its normal form, ie, elasticity.skin turgor - a term that is commonly used by health professionals to assess the degree of fluid loss or dehydration.
Fluid loss can occur due to takiz causes like diarrhea or vomiting.Infants and young children with vomiting, diarrhea and decreased fluid intake or no fluid intake can rapidly lose a significant amount of fluid.High body temperature accelerates this process.
To determine skin turgor, the doctor for a few seconds examining the skin of the patient on the back of the hand, forearm or abdomen between two fingers - so that it is lifted.
Skin with normal turgor may quickly return to its normal position.Skin with decreased turgor remains supple and very slowly returns to its original position.
Reduced skin turgor is a late onset of dehydration, then there is dehydration -
Note: edema (accumulation of fluid in the tissues, causing swelling) affects the way that the skin becomes extremely difficult to compress.
Reasons for changes in turgor
reducing skin elastichnosi, or turgor, unfortunately, is one of the signs of the beginning of the aging process.However, it could be evidence of the following issues in the body:
- reduction of fluid intake;
- a sharp, sudden and rapid weight loss;
- heat stroke (excessive sweating without adequate fluid intake);
Connective tissue diseases - such as scleroderma and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (CED), may also affect the elasticity of the skin.They have no relation to the liquid, but are related to the change in the properties of the skin tissue elasticity.
Diagnosis and treatment
quick check of skin turgor - pinch the skin on the back of his hand on the abdomen or on the front of the chest under the collarbone.This is a good way to check for dehydration at home.
necessary to drink more fluids - particularly water.
If turgor strong, indicating moderate or severe dehydration, and then you must consult a doctor immediately.
about poor skin turgor, especially accompanied with vomiting, diarrhea, or high body temperature, they say if:
- during skin testing is very slow return the skin to its normal state.This may indicate dehydration that is severe enough to require immediate treatment;
- reduces patient skin turgor and are unable to increase the intake of fluids (eg, because of vomiting).
doctor will have to perform a diagnostic examination and may ask the patient questions about his medical history, including these:
- how long he had symptoms of turgor;
- What other symptoms came before the change in skin turgor (vomiting, diarrhea and other);
- that the patient made in the treatment of this disease;
- whether the patient felt better;
- whether the patient got worse;
- which still have symptoms of the patient (eg, dry mouth, decreased urine output, and so on.).
tests that can be performed:
- blood chemistry;
- complete blood count;
Intravenous fluids may be needed in severe dehydration.Did the patient medication needed for the treatment of other symptoms that affect the skin turgor and elasticity.
03 Jun, 2016
03 Jun, 2016
03 Jun, 2016