The expansion of the nostrils while breathing
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
expansion of the nostrils are generally observed in human breath.This is often a sign that the person finds it difficult to breathe.
Alternative names: expansion nostril wings.
Expansion of the wings of the nostrils markedly mainly in infants and young children.
Any condition that causes shortness of breath, can cause nasal expansion.While many reasons for the expansion of the nostrils while breathing are not serious, some of them need attention and can be life-threatening.
In young children, nasal congestion with the expansion of the nostrils can be a very important symptom of respiratory failure.
Causes expansion of the nostrils while breathing
- asthma (acute);
- airway obstruction (for any reason);
- epiglottitis (acute);
- transient tachypnea of the newborn.
Diagnosis and treatment
encourage the patient to try to get immediate assistance if he or his child have symptoms of difficulty in breathing.
encourage the patient to see a doctor,
- there is any persistent, unexplained nasal expansion (especially the case with young children);
- bluish color becomes lips, nail beds, or skin.It is a sign of strong shortness of breath that may indicate deterioration of the state of emergency;
- the patient thinks that his child has trouble breathing.
doctor or nurse will perform a diagnostic check and may ask the patient questions about his symptoms and medical history - for example, are:
- when the symptoms began;
- strengthen or weaken the symptoms;
- breathing - noisy, or there raucous sounds;
- which still have symptoms - such as sweating, or feeling tired;
- whether drawn into the muscles of the abdomen, shoulders or chest during breathing.
doctor or nurse should listen carefully to the patient's breathing sounds (sound effects in his body).This is called "auscultation".
tests that can be done include:
- analysis of arterial blood gases;
- complete blood count;
- pulse oximetry to measure oxygen levels in the blood;
- chest X-ray.
Treatment primarily is to eliminate the causes that resulted in a violation of, and difficulty breathing.Oxygen therapy may also be administered to the patient, when he was diagnosed with severe breathing problems.
12 Aug, 2017