Rapid and shallow breathing
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 26, 2016
Alternative names: tachypnea
The normal respiratory rate of an adult who is in a state of rest, it is 8 to 16 breaths per minute.For the baby normally make up to 44 breaths per minute.
Tachypnea - a term that is used by doctors to describe the patient's breathing if it is too quick and superficial, especially if it is associated with pulmonary disease in a patient or other medical cause.
term "hyperventilation" is usually used if the patient makes frequent and deep breaths because of anxiety or panic attacks.
Causes of tachycardia and shallow breathing
frequent, rapid breathing is under a lot of possible medical causes, including such as:
- a blood clot in the lung artery;
- lack of oxygen (hypoxia);
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and other chronic lung diseases;
- heart failure;
- infection smallest airways in the lungs of the children (bronchiolitis);
- pneumonia or any other lung infection;
- transient tachypnea of the newborn.
Diagnosis and treatment of tachycar
dia and shallow breathing
Rapid and shallow breathing should not be treated at home.It is generally believed that it is a medical emergency.
If the patient has asthma or COPD, it is necessary to use inhaler medications prescribed by your doctor.If possible, the patient should be immediately examined by a doctor, so it is important with this symptom will appeal to the emergency room.
necessary to appeal to the emergency room if the patient is breathing rapidly, and if he:
- bluish or gray skin color, nails, gums, lips or around the eyes;
- chest pain;
- with every breath drawn in the chest;
- it is difficult to breathe;
- rapid breathing for the first time (before it was never).
doctor will have to perform a thorough examination of the heart, lungs, abdomen, head and neck.
Studies that your doctor may prescribe:
- Study of carbon dioxide in the arterial blood and pulse oximetry;
- chest X-ray;
- complete blood count and blood chemistry;
- lung scan (compares ventilation and perfusion of the lungs).
Treatment will depend on the cause of shortness of breath.Initial assistance may include oxygen therapy, if the oxygen level in a patient is too low.
24 Apr, 2016
24 Apr, 2016