swelling of the face
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative names: puffy face
Swelling of the face is the result of accumulation of fluid in the tissues of the face.Swelling may also affect the neck and shoulders.
If a small swelling of the face, it can be difficult to detect.To help the doctor to establish the cause of a diagnostic, he must report the following:
- the nature and localization of the pain;
- how long the swelling lasts;
- that it strengthens or weakens;
- whether the patient's other symptoms.
Causes facial edema
- allergic reactions (such as allergic rhinitis, hay fever, or a bee sting);
- angioedema (swelling or angioedema - reaction to the effects of different biological and chemical factors, often having an allergic nature; manifestations - increase entity or its parts or limbs);
- a reaction to a blood transfusion;
- cellulite (or abscess - an acute spilled purulent inflammation of the subcutaneous fat; cosmetic problems caused by structural changes in the subcutaneous fat layer);
- conjunctivitis (inflammat
- drug reactions, including in connection with aspirin, penicillin, sulfa drugs, glucocorticoids (substances that reduce allergic and increase sexual activity - both women and men);
- surgery of the nose or jaw (operation);
- injury or facial trauma (eg, burns);
- malnutrition (severe);
- disorders of the salivary gland;
- sinusitis (or sinusitis - an infection or inflammation of one or more of the paranasal sinuses, the cavities above and below the eyes, occurs as a complication of acute rhinitis, influenza, measles, scarlet fever and other infectious diseases, most often affects the frontal, maxillary, paranasal sinuses,and ethmoid sinus, wedge-shaped sinuses);
- barley with swelling around the infected eye;
- tooth abscess (infection process, which is caused by an accumulation of pus in the inner or outer surface of the alveolar bone of the upper jaw or alveolar part of the mandible - usually due to bacterial infection, which accumulates in the soft, often dead, dental pulp, which can be associated withrunning caries, chipped tooth or with various periodontal diseases, bad treatment of the root canal system may also cause abscess).
treatment and home care
advise to apply in such cases, cold compresses to reduce swelling from an injury.It is necessary to raise the head of the bed (or use extra pillows) to help reduce facial swelling.
patients should contact their doctor if they have:
- sudden, painful or severe facial swelling;
- Facial swelling that lasts a while, particularly if it increases with the passage of time;
- shortness of breath;
- high fever, weakness, or redness, which suggests infection.
Emergency medical help is needed if facial swelling caused by burns or if the patient has trouble breathing.
The doctor will ask the patient about his medical history, which will help identify methods for treating or - what medical tests are needed.Questions may include:
- how long lasting facial swelling;
- when it started;
- that enhances facial swelling;
- that weakens them;
- when the patient comes in contact with something, if he has an allergy to anything;
- what medicines the patient takes;
- if the patient has recently received facial injuries;
- whether the patient has recently medical examination or surgery;
- which still have symptoms of the patient - eg facial pain, sneezing, difficulty breathing, hives or a rash, redness, fever.
12 Aug, 2017