Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 25, 2016
opisthotonus - spasm of the muscles of the neck and back, abnormal convulsive pose in which a person is constantly tightly folded arms, hands, feet and fingers as a result of the tonic contraction of muscles, back and neck, legs stretched straight.Hands are bent in the direction of the body, wrists and fingers bent and held on the chest, back, sharply arched, head thrown back (arc relying only on the back of the head and heels).
This type of posture is a sign of a serious brain injury.People with this symptom should get medical help immediately.
Abnormal posture different from "poor posture" or "slouching."Incorrect posture include abnormal, often ugly body position or, in some way, the movement of a few parts of the body.Abnormal posture can be a symptom of certain brain injuries.Injury or brain tumor, spinal cord or nervous system is the most common cause of abnormal postures.Types pos depend on the type and the area of damage.
Rather, it is a sign of opisthotonus damage to the nerve pathways b
opisthotonus can develop in children infected with meningitis.This may also occur at lower brain function or nervous system injury.
- Arnold-Chiari syndrome (malformation of Arnold Chiari) - a problem with the structure of brain tissue;
- a brain tumor;
- Gaucher's disease;
- growth hormone deficiency (it happens sometimes);
- glutaric and organic aciduria (hereditary metabolic diseases);
- Krabbe disease;
- severe electrolyte imbalance;
- severe traumatic brain injury;
- severe facial syndrome (may be spasms);
- subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding in the brain);
- - brain tumor;
- traumatic brain injury;
- increased intracranial pressure from any cause;
- deterioration of brain function, which takes place by liver damage, brain infection and other factors.
Drugs - such as phenothiazines and other antipsychotic drugs - can cause a side effect called "acute dystonic reaction."Opisthotonus may be part of the reaction.
In rare cases, children born to women who took large amounts of alcohol during pregnancy may have an opisthotonos.
Diagnostics and first aid
Home Care.Conditions that cause opisthotonus should be treated at the hospital immediately.
man with such symptoms should receive emergency treatment immediately.It involves the preparation of the breathing tube to assist in breathing.A person who develops opisthotonos will need to go to hospital or to intensive care.
Once the patient is stabilized, it will be studied history and also - medical history of his family, made a more detailed diagnostic evaluation that includes a thorough study of the nervous system.
doctor may ask the patient the following questions about his illness:
- when it started;
- whether there is a pattern in the positions;
- whether it is always one and the same type of posture;
- whether there is a history of head trauma or a history of drug use;
- What other symptoms came before the abnormal postures, or simultaneously with it.
tests that need to be done include:
- blood and urine tests for drugs and toxic substances, as well as chemicals and minerals;
- cerebral angiography (X-ray examination of the blood vessels in the brain by means of dye c);
- EEG (electroencephalography - waves that test brain)
- monitoring of intracranial pressure (ICP);
- seeding cerebrospinal fluid and measuring the number of cells;
- analysis of electrolytes;
- spinal or lumbar puncture;
- MRI or CT scan of the head.
Prognosis depends on the causes opisthotonos.It can be injury or damage to the brain and nervous system that can lead a person to the long-term problems - such as:
- inability to communicate;
23 Apr, 2016
23 Apr, 2016