Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 25, 2016
Alternative names: muscle cramps
Muscle cramps occur when the patient's own muscle becomes tight, without the intervention of his will.This muscle does not relax.Not to be confused with muscle cramps muscle spasm.Muscle spasms are different from muscle cramps, and they are considered separately.
Convulsions may include part of one or more muscles or muscles.Most often in the convulsions following muscle groups are involved:
- the back part of the thigh (hamstrings);
- the front of the thigh.
cramps in the legs, arms, abdomen and along the rib cage are also very common.Muscle cramps are common to all.They can be stopped by means of stretching muscles.
Common causes of muscle cramps
Muscle cramps are often occur when the muscles are overloaded or injured.The patient's condition when he has enough fluid in the body (dehydration), or when it has a low level of minerals such as potassium or calcium, - are also likely to trigger a patient can muscle cramps.
Muscle cramps can occur
- hypothyroidism, thyroid (a disease that occurs due to insufficient content of thyroid hormones in the body usually occurs with a decrease or loss of thyroid function are primary and secondary hypothyroidism Primary -... Due to the pathology of the thyroid gland, resulting in decreased hormone production. Secondary - associated with disruption of the pituitary or hypothalamus, regulates the production of thyroid hormones - thyroid hormones Hypothyroidism -. it is not a disease, and the condition of the body with low levels of thyroid hormone, indicating a functional failure of this organ of the endocrine system of the body or pathological processes,which may affect the hormonal metabolism Extreme forms of adult hypothyroidism - a disease myxedema, children - cretinism).;
- renal insufficiency (a syndrome disorders of kidney function, leading to the breakdown of the electrolyte, water, nitrogen and other types of exchange can be acute and chronic forms of renal failure Acute renal failure develops suddenly, usually after acute, but more often it is a reversible kidney damage tissue... renal insufficiency - a pathological condition in which partially or completely lost the ability to form kidney or release urine, the amount of which decreases sharply or missing As a result develop severe disorders of acid-base, water-salt homeostasis, etc. violations..lead to secondary damage to all systems of the body);
Treatment of muscle cramps
If the patient has muscle cramps, stop its activities and try to stretch his muscles and make them a massage.
Heat will relax the muscle when the spasm begins, but ice can be helpful when the pain is gone.
If the muscle is still sore, the pain can help nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.If muscle cramps are severe, your doctor may prescribe other medicines.
most common cause of muscle cramps during sports activity - the body does not get enough fluids.Most drinking water eases cramps.However, only one water - does not always help.Useful in this case may be: salt tablets or sports drinks, which also replenish lost minerals.
Other tips to relieve muscle spasms:
- change the training so as to operate within their means;
- drink plenty of fluids during exercise and increase potassium intake (orange juice and banana - the best natural sources of potassium);
- stretch to improve flexibility (flexible force - it is a fitness program based on components such as: stretching, strength training and balance exercises with the correct breathing).
patient should immediately consult a doctor if muscle cramps he:
- do not go away with simple stretching;
- keep coming back again;
- it lasts a long time.
doctor or nurse will examine the patient and will ask him questions about symptoms and medical history - for example, are:
- when the muscle cramps started;
- how long they last;
- how often the patient experiences muscle cramps;
- which muscles are affected at the same time;
- it always a problem - in the same place;
- if it is a woman, whether she is pregnant;
- whether the patient: vomiting, diarrhea, excessive sweating, excessive outflow of urine or any other possible cause dehydration;
- what medicines the patient takes;
- whether the patient consumed a lot of alcohol.
Blood tests may be done to check the patient following:
- calcium, potassium, magnesium, or metabolism (metabolism);
- renal function;
- thyroid function.
If the pain from muscle cramps is strong, then the patient may be prescribed painkillers.
set of exercises for the prevention of seizures
Get your hands behind your back, palms facing up.Extend your arms down and squeeze the shoulder blades together.Your chest should be facing up.Hold for 10-20 seconds.
You should feel a stretch in your shoulders and chest.
Stand with your feet wide apart.Transfer the weight to one side, slightly bending the knee.Do not let your knees fall outside of your ankle, in other words, you should be able to look down and still see your toes.
You should feel a stretch in the opposite leg, which is a straight line.
Both of your feet should be on the ground, facing forward.Hold for 10-20 seconds, then bend over to the other side.
Pull out one leg in front of you.Bend the other leg at the knee and lean back slightly.Your pelvis should be tilted forward.Keep your upper body upright, and hold the stretch 10-20 seconds, then repeat for the other leg stretching.
You should feel tension in the hip area to the rear legs outstretched.
Relying on one leg in front of you distribute your weight evenly between both feet.Bend both knees and lift the back heel off the ground.
Bring your pelvis forward so that your back to remain straight (You can lean against a wall for balance).
Hold for 10-20 seconds, then repeat on the other side.
You should feel a stretch in the front of the thighs and abdomen.
Hold onto something to preserve balance.Standing on one leg, grasp the foot of the other leg.Keep the knee down.Pull it up with light pressure.You do not need to necessarily podtyangivat heel to the buttocks.If you are uncomfortable or painful, you bet gives a large load on the knee joint.
Hold the leg behind you for 10-20 seconds and then repeat the exercise with the other leg.
You should feel a stretch in the front of the thigh.
Bring one of your elbows across your body to the opposite shoulder.Use the other hand to bring your elbow closer to the shoulder.Hold the arm in this position for 10 to 20 seconds and then repeat the exercise with the other arm.
Alternative method: raise your hand above your head and bend your elbow so that your hand would be turned behind your neck.
Use the other hand to stabilize his elbow.Hold for 10-20 seconds and then repeat the exercise with the other arm.You should feel tension in the back of the hand.
02 Jun, 2016
02 Jun, 2016
02 Jun, 2016