Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
micrognathia - term for the lower jaw, which is smaller than usual.Micrognathia can be caused by certain inherited disorders and syndromes.In some cases
jaw infant can be sufficiently small, making it difficult to feed.Infants with micrognathia may need special nipples in order to properly and it was convenient to feed them.
micrognathia often corrected during the child's growth.Jaw child can grow considerably during the period of puberty.
micrognathia may lead to the fact that the teeth have to specially align, particularly if they are too close.Micrognathia often do not provide enough space for the growth of teeth.Children with this problem it is necessary to show the dentist when they should appear molars, because children can develop this point.But sometimes it makes sense to delay treatment until the child grows up.
micrognathia may be part of, or cause other genetic diseases, including such as:
- syndrome Cree-du-sha (cri du chat);
- syndrome Hallerman-Streiff;
- Marfan syndrome;
- Pierre Robin syndrome;
- progeria (rare genetic defect);
- Russell-Silver syndrome;
- Seckel syndrome;
- Lemley syndrome Smith-Opitz;
- Treacher-Collins syndrome;
- trisomy 13;
- trisomy 18;
- XO-syndrome (Shershevsky-Turner syndrome).
treatment and home care
possible, parents will have to use special methods of feeding a child with the disease.
recommend to consult a doctor if:
- as it seems to them, their child has a very small jaw;
- it is difficult to feed the child properly.
doctor will do a physical examination and may ask the child's parents about the problem issues.Some questions can be such:
- when parents first notice that the jaw a little child;
- how seriously developed this symptom;
- whether the child has a problem with the adoption of the food;
- What other symptoms are present.
diagnostic examination will include a thorough check of the baby's mouth.
following tests may be performed:
- X-rays of the jaw;
- X-rays of the skull.
Depending on the symptoms, the child may need to be tested for genetic diseases that may be the source of problems.The child may need surgery or equipment to fix the position of the teeth.
12 Aug, 2017
12 Aug, 2017