Microcephaly - an increase in the child 's head
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
newborn's head, as a rule, almost 2 cm more than the size of his chest.At the age of your baby from 6 months to 2 years, these two measurements are about equal.After 2 years from the birth of the child's chest size becomes larger than his head.Macrocephaly characterized by a proportional increase of the brain without the head hydrocephalus, which can occur without visible symptoms.The appearance of the brain with macrocephaly is typically not very different from the normal.
series of measurements over time that show an increased rate of growth of the head, can often provide more valuable information than expected and than gives one measurement.
pressure in the head (increased intracranial pressure), often occurs with increased head circumference.Symptoms of the disease - is:
- eye movement downward;
- benign familial macrocephaly (family, hereditary tendency toward large head size);
- Canavan's disease (Kenevena);
- Harlera syndrome;
- Hydrocephalus (congenital, traumatic or obstructive);
- intracranial bleeding;
- Morquio Syndrome.
Diagnosis and treatment of macrocephaly
doctor usually finds macrocephaly during a thorough examination of the baby.Based on the study of its history the doctor will need to perform diagnostic testing.
This doctor may ask parents to the following questions:
- chart the time when they first noticed that the baby's head become large;
- if they feel that their child's head grows much faster than the growth of his body;
- if they think their child's head more than any other parts of his body;
- baby's head is longer front to back and left to right;
- What other symptoms are present (especially if there is change in the child's brain or nervous system).
Distance is measured in centimeters and compared with:
- past measurements of the circumference of the baby's head;
- normal range for age and sex (weeks, months) the child - on the basis of normal growth rates of infants and children's heads.
There must be a thorough medical examination of the child's head.There will also be checked by other parameters of growth and development of the child.
In some cases, a single measurement is sufficient to confirm that there is an increase in size of the head of the child, which must be further tested.Most often, repeated measurements of head circumference of the child for a certain period of time only need to confirm that the head circumference increases and the problem is compounded.
Diagnostic tests vary depending on the cause, but often include:
- CT of the head;
- MRI of the head.
12 Aug, 2017
12 Aug, 2017