Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
One of the most unpleasant symptoms in dermatology, is the dryness of the skin.Indeed, when there is contraction, itching and burning of the skin, it loses elasticity and begins to peel off, then life loses its bright colors.Moreover, dry skin is aging rapidly, covered with wrinkles and too susceptible to infection.
Dry skin is most common in the lower legs, arms, abdomen and thighs.The symptoms of dry skin include:
- cracks (folds) on the skin.
Causes of dry skin
Dry skin is common.It occurs more often in winter when cold air outside and heated air inside cause low humidity.Forced air furnaces make skin even drier.
skin loses moisture and may crack in the skin or become irritated and inflamed.Swimming in the water too often, especially with the hard soap may promote greater dry skin.Eczema can also cause skin dryness.
Among the main causes of dry skin can be distinguished:
- Malnutrition, lack of vitamins and minerals;
- age-related changes of the body;
- improper care for the face and body;
- hormonal changes cause a decrease in activity of the sebaceous glands and sebum production slowdown;
- the level of the water balance of the body and inadequate fluid intake with food may cause dryness of the skin;
- premature aging of the skin;
- immune system disorders, such as psoriasis, systemic lupus erythematosus;
- adverse climatic factors such as wind, low humidity, sunshine, cold air, temperature extremes;
- diseases of the nervous system;
- infectious, fungal, bacterial, viral skin diseases sometimes;
- proizvodsvennye factors, such as working in hot shops, chemical industry;
- wrong choice of cosmetics and care, holding some cosmetic procedures;
Care for dry skin
keep the skin moist, you can use lubricants or skin moisturizing ointment or cream.Use ointment (e.g., Vaseline), cream or lotion need for beauty and health of the skin 2-3 times a day.Moisturizers may not contain alcohol, fragrances, dyes or other chemical substances.It also helps to use the house humidifier.
moisturizers and emollients work best when they are applied to wet or damp skin.After washing or bathing pat dry the skin, and then immediately apply moisturizer.Luchsche best to choose nutritious and fortified creams, nourishing and toning mask, non-alcoholic tonics, creams containing collagen and elastin.These cosmetics will help restore the skin's natural defenses.Used cosmetics should be designed specifically for dry skin and include active skin moisturizing complex.
A person can use different types of emollient or moisturizer at different times of the day.Use these materials as often as needed to keep the skin soft.
important point to combat dry skin is a correction of power: the exception of alcohol, enrichment diet products containing vitamins A, E and C.
Avoid anything that strengthens the symptoms, including the following:
- sweating - bewarenot to dress too warm in the warm and especially hot weather;
- strong soaps and detergents, as well as chemicals and solvents;
- sudden changes in body temperature or stress, which can lead to sweating, and poor health;
- triggers (physical stimuli) that cause allergy symptoms.
Useful tips when washing or bathing:
- bathe less often and as quickly as possible.Short and cool baths - better and more useful than long, hot baths;
- use gentle skin care - cleaning products (cream soap) instead of the usual soap.Use them only on the face, armpits, genitals, hands and feet;
- do not scrub or dry the skin too hard or too long;
- after bathing apply lubricating creams, lotions, ointments on the skin while it is still wet.This will help keep moisture in the skin for longer;
- Use a humidifier if the air is dry;
- drink plenty of water throughout the day;
- as much as possible to stop using cosmetics;
- apply cold compresses to the area itchy and use medicated ointments, creams or lotions, if the skin is inflamed.
You should contact your doctor if:
- the patient feels itchy without a visible rash;
- dry skin and itching interfere with the patient to sleep;
- the patient has on the skin of any open cuts or sores from scratching;
- at home self-care measures do not relieve the patient from skin dryness and itching.