Coughing up blood
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 23, 2016
Alternative names: hemoptysis;hawking (hawking) in the blood;bloody sputum.
Coughing up blood - the blood regurgitation or bloody mucus from the lungs and throat (respiratory tract).The medical term - coughing up blood from the respiratory tract.
Coughing up blood - is not the same as bleeding from the mouth, throat, or gastrointestinal tract.Blood that comes with a cough often looks bubbly because it is mixed with air and mucus.It is usually bright red, although it may be red.Sometimes sputum may only contain streaks of blood.
Causes cough with blood
- a blood clot in the lungs;
- respiration with blood in the lungs (pulmonary aspiration);
- bronchoscopy with biopsy;
- lung or bronchus;
- cystic fibrosis (system hereditary disease caused by a mutation of the gene for cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator and characterized by lesions of exocrine glands, severe dysfunction of the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract);
- inflammation of the blood vessels i
- lung damage arteries;
- irritation of the throat from a strong cough (a small amount of blood);
- pneumonia or other lung infections;
- pulmonary edema;
- systemic lupus erythematosus;
- pulmonary tuberculosis.
cough with blood Diagnostics
doctor will complete a medical examination and check the patient's chest and lungs.Tests that may be done include:
- bronchoscopy - a test to examine the airways;
- CT of the chest;
- complete blood count;
- lung biopsy;
- scanning light;
- pulmonary arteriography (direct and therefore the most reliable method for the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism - PE, it is prescribed, if the diagnosis is uncertain and it seems urgent);
- sowing and smear;
- checking blood clots - whether they are normal.
Cough treatment with blood
In the case of coughing with blood, you must always consult about this with your doctor.
It is important to tell the doctor when a person coughs up blood for a long time, and how much blood mixed with phlegm.We need to see a doctor at any time, even if in addition to cough blood, there are no other symptoms.
necessary to seek medical help if coughing blood:
- cough produces more than a few teaspoons of (too much) blood;
- there is blood in the urine or stool;
- have chest pain;
- severe shortness of breath.
In case of emergency, the doctor will prescribe medication to control the condition of the patient.The doctor may ask the patient questions about coughing - for example:
- what type of cough;
- this cough - with a large (massive hemoptysis) or a small amount of blood;
- can you see when you cough blood;
- how many times the patient coughing up blood;
- whether there are streaks of blood in the sputum;
- whether suddenly cough begins;
- whether it has increased in recent years;
- how many weeks the cough lasts;
- Is the cough worse at night;
- which still have symptoms of the patient.
18 May, 2016
18 May, 2016
18 May, 2016