Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative names: hiccups
hiccup is an unintentional movement (spasm) of the diaphragm - the muscle at the base of the lung.Spasm accompanied by a rapid closure of the vocal cords, which produce a distinctive sound.
Hiccups often start for no apparent reason and usually disappear after a few minutes.In rare cases, hiccups can last for days, weeks or months.Hiccup is a common and common in newborns and infants.
Causes of hiccups
- abdominal surgery;
- a disease or disorder that irritate the nerves that control the diaphragm (such as pleurisy or pneumonia);
- hot and spicy foods or liquids;
- harmful gases;
- injury or brain tumor;
- may not be apparent cause hiccups.
Treatment of hiccups
There is absolutely sure way to stop hiccups, but there are some general suggestions and tips that can be useful and can help against the attack of hiccups:
- breathe several times in a paper bag;
- drink a glass of cold water;
- Eat a teaspoon of sugar;
- hold your breath.
Consult your doctor
Questions the doctor to the patient about the hiccups may include the following:
- whether it is easy hiccups;
- how long episode of hiccups usually lasts;
- whether he ate recently that any hot or spicy;
- whether he had been drinking recently, carbonated beverages;
- whether he was subjected to all the pairs;
- what he was trying to ease the hiccups;
- that was effective for him at last hiccups;
- how effective was the attempt to remove or relieve hiccups;
- turns you stop hiccups at least for a while;
- is there any other symptoms.
Diagnostic tests are rarely needed, if the reasons are not suspected of having the disease or disorder.
to treat persistent hiccups doctor may perform gastric lavage or massage of the carotid sinus in the neck.Do not even try to massage the carotid artery alone.This should be done only by a physician.
If hiccups lasts, the medications can help.It may also help to insert tubes (nasogastric intubation).
In very rare cases, if a medication or other methods do not work, you need to activate the phrenic nerve that controls the diaphragm.
12 Aug, 2017
12 Aug, 2017