Stuffy nose and runny nose
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 22, 2016
Alternative title: runny nose;rhinorrhea
Most often stuffy nose catarrhal diseases diagnosed by nature, which are the cause of the common cold.Fabrics swollen nasal mucosa (or swelling).Swelling may also develop due to inflamed blood vessels.Usually, nasal congestion accompanied by secretions, iethere is a runny nose.If excess mucus flows into the rear wall of the throat, which may lead to inflammation and cough or sore throat.
The most common nasal congestion in older children and adolescents in itself is not serious, but can cause other problems.
When the nose is stuffed with only one hand, the reason for this may be that the child is in socks of any foreign object.This should immediately alert the parents.
Nasal congestion can also affect the ears, hearing and speech development and very interfere with normal sleep as a child and adult.Moreover, infection of the sinuses can spread to the middle and inner ear, leading to complications and additional problems.
Causes nasal congestion runny nos
e with or without
Stuffy or runny nose in adults can be caused by such factors as:
- sinus infection - sinusitis;
- high fever or other allergies;
- use of certain nasal sprays or droplets for over three days can enhance nasal congestion;
- polyps, growths of inflamed tissue lining the sinuses;
- deformation of the nasal septum;
- tumors of the nasal cavity and nasopharynx;
- allergic reactions;
- vasomotor rhinitis.
Diagnosis and treatment of nasal congestion and runny nose
recommend to look for ways to clear sinuses and nose of mucus, and, thus, alleviate the symptoms.Drinking plenty of fluids is one of the ways to do this.The patient may also:
- Irrigate your nose with saline, which is available over the counter (salt spray), or do it yourself.For this need: 1 cup warm water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of baking soda.Irrigate your nose at least 3-4 times a day.
- Nasal congestion is often worse in the position of a patient lying down.We recommend that the patient often in a vertical position, or at least to keep the head up.
- Nekotrye medications can help with similar symptoms, such as decongestants which reduce swelling and dry the nasal passages;antihistamines help relieve allergy symptoms;Nasal sprays may also relieve nasal congestion, but it should not use nasal sprays over 3 days.
be treated yourself only the first 2-3 days, then it is necessary to consult a doctor.
recommend to consult a doctor if the following symptoms accompanying runny nose and nasal congestion:
- swelling in the forehead, eyes, nose, sides of cheeks, with blurred vision;
- sore throat, white or yellow spots on the tonsils or other parts of the throat;
- secretions from the nose on one side or both sides, with an unpleasant smell, white, red or yellow;
- cough for longer than 10 days, the yellow-green or gray mucus;
- secretions from the nose after a head injury;
- symptoms that last for more than 3 weeks;
- secretions from the nose, along with a high body temperature.
doctor may perform a physical examination, which focuses on the ears, throat, nose and respiratory tract.
diagnostic procedures that can be made:
- blood tests and skin tests for allergies;
- analysis of sputum smear from the throat;
- X-rays of the sinuses and chest X-ray.