Stunting and weight in children 0-5 years
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative names: slow growth in children 0-5 years old;slow weight gain of children 0-5 years old;slow growth of children 0-5 years old, slowing growth and development of children 0-5 years
Stunting - poor or abnormally slow growth or weight of the child under the age of 5 years.This may be a temporary phenomenon.
child should have regular checkups doctor.These checks are usually scheduled, when the child is born:
- 2 months;
- 4 months;
- 6 months;
- 9 months;
- 12 months;
- 18 months;
- 2 years;
- 3 years;
- 4 years;
- 5 years.
reasons growth retardation in children 0-5 years
Stunting refers to children who are small for their age, but grow and change in the development of normal speed.Puberty in these children often late.These children continue to grow after the majority of their peers are stunted.Most of stunted children reach adult height and similar to the growth of their parents.
Genetics may play a role.One or both parents may be shorter.Undersized, but healthy parents may h
delay growth of the child or its growth is slower than expected, it can be caused by many different causes and factors, including such as:
- chronic diseases;
- diseases of the endocrine system;
- emotional illness;
- poor nutrition.
Many children with growth retardation also have mental retardation.
Diagnosis and treatment
Home Care.If slow weight gain is due to the lack of calories, try to feed the baby on a specially produced program.Increase the amount of food that you can offer your child.Let him nutritious, high-calorie foods.
It is important to cook the child exactly as instructed, without breaking them.Consult your doctor if you are concerned about your child's growth.Medical examination is important, even if you know that the delays in the development or emotional problems may help to delay the child's growth.
If your child does not grow due to lack of calories, your doctor may refer you to an expert on nutrition, which can help the patient to choose the right products specifically for children.
doctor will examine the child, it will measure height, weight, head circumference.It is important to answer the following questions about the child's medical history, including:
- whether the child was always at the lower limit growth charts;
- is it true that the growth of the child initially developed normally, usually, and then slowed down;
- Does the child normally develop social and physical skills;
- whether the child eats well, what foods he eats;
- what type of feeding schedule is used;
- fed baby breastfeed or bottle;
- if the child is breastfed, what medications gives his mother;
- if the child is on artificial feeding, what formula is used;
- any medications or supplements given to the child;
- some growth indices of the biological parents of the child, how much they weigh;
- What other symptoms are present in a child and his parents.
doctor may also ask questions about education, habits and social interaction with the child.
tests may include:
- blood test (for example, the total or differential);
- chair of research (to test the absorption of nutrients);
- X-rays to determine bone age and the search for possible fractures.