Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative title: stridor , stridor , extrathoracic airway obstruction
Stridor (stridor, wheezing, noisy breathing) - a rough different tones sound like a hissing, gurgling, accompanied by wheezing, published atbreathing caused by a blockage in the throat or the larynx, resulting in a significant narrowing of the lumen of the larynx or trachea, usually due to their contact with a foreign body lumen, development of tumors or other pathological conditions.
Children are at higher risk of airway narrowing, because they are physiologically more narrow the trachea than adults.In young children, stridor is a sign of a serious disease, especially in infants it can be a symptom of a life-threatening conditions.In this case, examination and treatment should be carried out immediately in order to prevent complete airway obstruction.
airway can be blocked by an object, or swelling of the throat tissue of the upper respiratory tract and respiratory tract spasm of muscles or vocal cords.
most important feature, which allows suspect the level of destruction is breathing phase, in which the stridor is heard best.On this basis stridor can be divided into three types:
- inspiratory stridor .It is usually caused by a lesion is localized above the vocal cords, and is produced by the soft tissues collapse under negative pressure during inspiration.
- biphasic stridor usually higher in tone.It is caused by lesions at the level of the vocal cords or podskladkovogo department.
- Expiratory stridor often occurs in lesions of the lower respiratory tract.
reasons noisy (crowing) breathing
Common causes of stridor:
- congenital anomaly of the respiratory tract (laringomalyatsii);
- abscess of the larynx, including the glands;
- airway injury;
- allergic reaction;
- recently conducted diagnostic tests - such as bronchoscopy or laryngoscopy;
- epiglottitis - an acute, life-threatening inflammation of the epiglottis and surrounding tissues that cover the trachea (windpipe inflammation);
- aspiration of foreign bodies;
- surgery in the neck;
- use breathing tube for a long time;
- isolation - for example, sputum;
- different inhalation;
- swelling of the neck or face;
- swelling and inflammation of the tonsils or adenoids (such as with tonsillitis);
- cysts of the larynx;
- vascular rings compressing the trachea;
- cancer of the throat, trachea, larynx or esophagus.
Diagnosis and treatment noisy (crowing) breathing
Stridor may be a sign of serious illness.It is necessary to immediately consult a doctor if there is unexplained stridor, especially if it is - a child.
In an emergency, the doctor will have to undertake a number of diagnostic procedures: check the patient's temperature, its pulse, breathing rate, blood pressure, and possibly to execute reception Geymliha.
may need to snorkel, if a person can not breathe properly.
After the doctor stabilizes the patient, he can ask him questions about medical history and perform a diagnostic examination, including listening to your lungs.
parents of a sick child the following questions about his medical history can be set:
- whether abnormal breathing very loud;
- whether suddenly began breathing problems;
- could the child something to put in his mouth;
- whether the child was sick lately;
- if swollen neck or the face of the child;
- whether the child is coughing and complaining about whether a sore throat;
- What other symptoms have a child (such as a burning sensation in the nose, bluish color of the skin, lips or nails, etc.);
- whether the child is breathing with the help of the chest muscles (intercostal muscles).
Diagnostic procedures that can be done:
- analysis of arterial blood gases;
- X-rays of the neck;
- CT of the chest;
- pulse oximetry to measure oxygen levels in the blood;
- chest X-ray or neck.
Since stridor in itself is not a disease but a symptom, treatment directed at the disease which caused it.To facilitate the symptoms if not revealed serious pathology, it is generally sufficient to restore the airway using antiedematous therapy.In rare cases, surgery is performed, such as tracheostomy or tracheal intubation.