Gum swelling and edema
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 20, 2016
Probably not such a person, who does not know the feeling when you wake up in the morning and realize that the gum near the tooth swollen.Most unpleasant sensation.At the same pain as such may not be absolutely, but swelling of the gums, they say, is obvious.There are several causes swelling gums, and all of them are quite serious - so serious that it is not recommended to self-medicate.
It may also be the cause of the high temperature and other unpleasant symptoms.Therefore, if you have swollen gums, it is necessary to immediately determine the cause and take the necessary measures to resolve this issue.
Let's try to understand the reasons for which most often occurs gingival swelling.
Common causes swelling of the gums
- failure to comply with the rules of oral hygiene;
- prorezyvaenie tooth;
-. Gingivitis (a disease with inflammation of the mucous membrane gums, without compromising the integrity of the periodontal connection Left untreated, gingivitis can progress to a destructive form of
- infected by a virus or a fungus;
- badly inserted dentures;
- sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash;
- scurvy (or scurvy - the most famous vitamin deficiency;. A disease caused by a serious deficiency in the body of ascorbic acid, or - vitamin C - because of the sharp limits of its receipt, together with food This leads to disruption of the synthesis of collagen protein - the main structural coupling component. tissue from which this tissue, which is present in each organ and in the shell of the blood vessels, becomes loose, it loses toughness and undergoes formed elements of blood and impregnation plasma Hence the clinical scurvy: loosening and bleeding gums, up to the loss of teeth, andalso on the body - multiple hemorrhage);
- side effects of drugs such as Dilantin and Phenobarbital.
treatment and care at home
advise patients with swollen gums to avoid any irritants - such as commercial mouthwashes, alcohol, tobacco.Change the brand (brand) toothpaste, and avoid using mouthwashes if swollen gums caused by extreme sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash.Use good oral hygiene.Be sure to show periodontist or dentist at least once in 6 months.
If swollen gums are caused by the patient's response to medication, he should talk to your doctor about using other, more suitable for him drugs.You can never change the medication without first consulting with your doctor about this.
patient should consult a doctor if he:
- swelling strong or it is accompanied by other unexplained symptoms;
- the discomfort associated with edema.
The dentist will examine your mouth, teeth and gums of the patient.The doctor may ask the patient questions about his symptoms, including these:
- how bleeding gums;
- whether a tumor has appeared for a long time;
- frequently or rarely sick swollen gums;
- whether a patient with gum problems before;
- what the patient habits of dental hygiene: how often he brushes his teeth, how often he uses dental floss, which toothbrush he uses correctly movements, he brushes his teeth, how vigorously what other habits he has in this aspect, when the lastonce the patient teeth professionally cleaned (dentists);
- what are the dietary habits of the patient;
- whether the patient changed their diet ??;
- whether the patient is eating enough fruits and vegetables;
- whether the patient takes extra vitamins;
- what medicines the patient takes;
- if it is a woman, or whether there was whether she had recently been pregnant;
- for a long time if the patient changed mouthwash or toothpaste;
- which still have symptoms in the patient - such as bad breath, sore throat, etc.
tests may include blood tests - the total or differential.The patient will be recommended to the proper care of the mouth and gums.
If you have swollen gums, the treatment can be varied depending on the cause.If the swelling is not associated with periodontal lesions, often it helps various antibacterial mouthwash or detergents.
It is best to consult your dentist and he will advise you a suitable solution for rinsing.The most common means of solution is soda and salt in warm water: 3% hydrogen peroxide solution diluted with water to one or one broth chamomile or sage.
If the situation is critical, then it is necessary to treat the tumor surgically gums.While this is an extreme measure of treatment, which also seems to be a terrible procedure, it is not necessary to be afraid of.
This is a small surgical procedure takes place under the influence of anesthesia and brings fast relief.