Blue skin and lips
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 20, 2016
Alternative names: cyanosis, cyanotic complexion
cyanosis - a bluish color of the skin or mucous membranes, which usually occurs due to lack of oxygen in the blood.Cyanosis is divided into false and true.If the bluish color of the skin or mucous membranes caused by the high concentration of gemogobina, it is said about the true cyanosis.Cyanosis due to hit the blood of various dyes and their deposition in the skin called cyanosis false.
How does the true cyanosis?
Red blood cells provide the body of oxygen.Most of the time, almost all red blood cells in the arteries carry a full supply of oxygen.These blood cells - bright red, so the skin has a pinkish or reddish.
same blood, who gave oxygen, dark bluish color.Therefore, the people whose blood has a low oxygen content, tend to have a bluish color (cyanosis).Depending on the cause, cyanosis may develop suddenly, along with shortness of breath and other symptoms.
true cyanosis is usually caused by long-term problems with the heart or lungs and
When the oxygen level decreases very slightly, cyanosis is difficult to detect.
In dark-skinned people cyanosis may be easier to see in the mucous membranes (lips, gums, around the eyes) and on the nails.
Causes skin blue in the face and lips (cyanosis)
Cyanosis itself practically does not occur.It can develop as a result of acute, urgent diseases and conditions of the patient, and may be a symptom of chronic diseases.
cyanosis, which is visible only in a specific part of the body, may be associated with:
- a blood clot that blocks blood flow in the legs or arms;
- phenomenon (disease) Raynaud's;
- lack of oxygen in the blood.
himself cyanosis occurs due to lack of oxygen in the blood, which can be caused by the following issues listed below.
- a blood clot in a lung artery (pulmonary embolism);
- water in the lungs;
- high altitude;
- infection of the smallest airways in the lungs in children - "bronchiolitis";
- long-term lung problems, which are becoming more serious - such as COPD, asthma, interstitial lung disease;
- pneumonia (severe).
problems with the respiratory tract, leading to the lungs:
- holding your breath;
- holding your breath when something stuck in the airways;
- cereals (respiratory disease, symptoms related to diseases of the respiratory system in children);
- heart defects that are present at birth (congenital);
- heart failure;
- the heart stops working (cardiac arrest or suspension).
- an overdose of drugs (narcotics, benzodiazepines, sedatives);
- the impact of cold air or water;
- seizures that last for a long time;
- intoxication, such as cyanide.
Diagnosis and treatment of skin turning blue (cyanosis)
When cyanosis caused by exposure to cold or Raynaud's phenomenon, you need to dress warmly when going outside or stay in a well-heated room.
bluish skin or cyanosis can be a sign of many serious medical problems.In this case, you must consult a doctor.
Every adult patient must consult your doctor, if he - bluish skin and also:
- the patient can not take a deep breath or breathing becomes difficult or too fast;
- the patient need to lean forward to breathe while sitting;
- involves the muscles around the ribs to get enough air;
- he has a pain in her chest;
- appeared headaches - more often than usual;
- feeling sleepy;
- high body temperature;
- cough and mucus dark.
necessary to call the doctor if your child has bluish skin color:
- it is difficult to breathe;
- chest muscle pulls child with every breath;
- child makes more 50-60 breaths per minute, ie, breathing rate increases too (when not crying);
- child groans;
- baby sitting, hunched over;
- the child is very tired;
- the child does not move a lot;
- he - limp or weakened, passive body;
- child's nostrils - very hot when he breathes;
- child loses appetite;
- child irritable;
- the child has trouble sleeping.
Your doctor will need to perform a diagnostic examination, which includes listening to the breath and heart sounds.In emergency situations (eg, in shock), the patient should first be stabilized.
doctor may ask the patient the following questions:
- bluish color of the skin when he began to develop;
- whether it came suddenly, unexpectedly;
- quickly or slowly develops cyanosis;
- whether blue lips of the patient;
- whether blue nails patient;
- whether the whole body of the patient blue;
- whether the patient is exposed to the cold;
- if the patient has recently been raised to a great height;
- not whether the patient inhaled something toxic;
- which still have symptoms of the patient;
- whether the patient breathing difficulties;
- whether the patient's leg swelling or ankle swelling;
- whether the patient's cough;
- whether the patient's chest pain.
Diagnostic tests that may be performed:
- analysis of arterial blood gases;
- pulse oximetry, ie, the method of determining the degree of blood oxygen saturation;
- chest X-ray;
- CT (CT) of the chest;
- complete blood count;
cyanosis Treatment is reduced to medical treatment problemmy, Kotra led to Blue skin.If shortness of breath and cyanosis the patient is expedient to pass oxygen therapy.