Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative names: abdominal hernia;defects of the anterior abdominal wall;cavity abdominal wall
abdominal hernia - a small area of swelling or bulge of tissue in the abdomen.
reasons abdominal hernia
The most common tumor in the abdomen is caused by a hernia.Hernias of the abdomen appear when there is a weak or hollow place in the abdominal wall.This allows the internal organs to push the abdominal muscles and the bulge of his wad (lump).Hernia can occur after stress, heavy lifting, or after a long period of coughing.
There are several types of hernias, which vary depending on what part of the body they are developing:
- inguinal hernia (groin or inguinal area - is part of the lower edge of the abdominal area, which is adjacent to the thigh) - appears as a bulge in the groinor scrotum.This type of hernia is more common in men than in women;
- incisional hernia - can go through the surgical scar after improper care after abdominal surgery;
- umbilical hernia - appears as a bulge a
Other causes of hernias in the abdominal wall:
- hematoma (accumulation of blood under the skin after an injury);
- lipoma (under the skin adipose tissue collection);
- lymph nodes;
- tumors of the skin or muscle.
patient should consult a doctor, if he has a lump in the abdomen that becomes larger or changes color is painful.
If the patient developed a hernia, he should see a doctor, especially if:
- changes the appearance of a hernia (red, turning blue, turning black, etc.);
- hernia causes more pain;
- the patient feels a palpable abdominal distension;
- patient high fever;
- around herniation is pain or stretching;
- the patient has nausea or vomiting.
blood supply to the organs that protrude through the hernia, can be prevented.This is called a "strangulated hernia".This happens very rarely, but it is a medical emergency.
physician must examine the patient, and may ask the following questions about medical history and symptoms:
- where the hernia;
- when the patient first noticed the lump (lump, swelling) in the abdomen;
- this is always a hernia or she appears and disappears;
- if anything makes the hernia more or less;
- which still have symptoms of the patient.
During the medical examination the patient may be asked to cough or change the position of the body.
Surgery may be needed to remove the hernia, which is dangerous symptoms.The operation can be done with a large surgical incision or through a smaller incision into which the surgeon inserts the camera and other tools.