Crook in the back
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 20, 2016
Alternative names: adipose tissue on the back
Hump behind a fold of fat on the back of the neck or back.
Hump behind the shoulders by itself does not indicate a specific state.The doctor must consider this along with other symptoms and examination results.
- some drugs used to treat AIDS, give this side effect as a hump;
- increased use of certain steroid medicines, including prednisolone, cortisone and hydrocortisone;
- extreme obesity;
- hypercortisolism caused by Cushing's syndrome.
Osteoporosis can cause curvature of the spine in the neck, entitled "kyphoscoliosis".It has abnormal forms but in itself does not cause excessive fat in the back of the neck.
Diagnosis and treatment
If the hump is caused by a specific medical reason - one way or another serious disease, the doctor may say that you should stop taking this or that previously designated the drug or change the dosage.You should never stop taking any medicine without first talking to your doctor.
Diet and exercise can help the patient to lose weight and can alleviate some of the problems due to the potential for severe obesity.
patient should consult a doctor, if he has an unexplained hump behind.The doctor will need to perform a diagnostic examination of the patient and ask him questions about his medical history and symptoms.Questions may be, for example, are:
- what medicines the patient takes;
- how old he was;
- whether it has been tested for osteoporosis;
- what other symptoms he has.
Diagnostic tests that may be performed include:
- test on bone mineral density;
- a blood test for the presence of cortisol;
- a urine test for the presence of cortisol;
- CT or MRI of the head;
- CT of the abdomen and adrenal glands;
- suppression test with dexamethasone;
- chest X-ray;
- eye exams.
patient treatment should be primarily aimed at the problem that caused the fat development.