Bulging fontanelle or swelling of the fontanelle
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Fontanelle - a soft, neokostenevshy site vault newborn babies skull, consisting of remnants of the membranous skeleton and the bones of the skull.This is where the skull bones are connected with each other, but not entirely.Fontanelles - is, in fact, remnants of the membranous skeleton, which allow at birth 'compress' the cranial vault that facilitates the passage of the newborn through the birth canal, and helps in the faster growth of the brain.The large fontanelle is usually in the process of ossification of the skull is completely closed to 12-24 months.Wedge and rear fontanels - within a few months after birth.After the closure of the fontanelles calvaria formed seams.
Swelling fontanelle - its outer curvature.
skull consists of many bones.Their seven - in the skull and fourteen - in the face.They are united to form a solid bone cavity which supports and protects the brain.The area where the bones are joined together, referred to as "stitching."
Bones are not combined together in solid form a
Infants fontanelle - "soft spot" where two seams are joined to form a shell.Fontanelles allow to grow the brain and skull during the first year of the baby.
As a rule, several fontanelles in the skull of the newborn are located mainly in the upper, rear and sides of the head.As seams fontanels harden over time and become closed, solid, bony areas.
Fontanelle at the back (posterior fontanelle) usually closes by the time the child of 1-2 months.SPRING on the top of the head (anterior fontanelle) usually closes when the child is 7-19 months.
fontanelles should be slightly bent inside the touch.Tense or bulging fontanelles happen when fluid accumulates in the brain, or when the baby's brain swells, causing increased pressure within the skull.
When the child is crying, lying, or has vomiting, bulging fontanelles may look like, but they should be back to normal when the child's forehead is located in a quiet position.
reasons swelling fontanel
- encephalitis (illness of one group, characterized by inflammation, or, in other words, brain edema, encephalitis are divided into primary and secondary, viral and bacterial, allergic, infectious, allergic and toxic);
- hydrocephalus (a disease characterized by excessive accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the ventricular system of the brain as a result of this difficulty moving fluid secretion from place to place absorption into the circulatory system);
- increased intracranial pressure;
- meningitis (inflammation of the membranes of the brain and spinal cord; in clinical practice - an infection of membranes covering the brain, inflammation of the pia mater).
Diagnosis and treatment
If fontanelle regains a normal appearance when the child's forehead in a quiet position, - is not present, swelling of the fontanel.
immediate, urgent help is needed for any child who has a truly bulging fontanelle, especially if it comes along with high body temperature or excessive sleepiness.
doctor will diagnostic examination and ask questions about the child's medical history - for example, are:
- whether the "soft spot" may return to normal appearance when the child is calm forehead;
- whether all this time, there is a bulge or she comes and goes;
- when the patient first noticed it;
- what part of the fontanelle - the bulge (top of the head, neck, or other);
- whether all of the bulging fontanelle;
- What other symptoms are present (eg, high fever, irritability, lethargy).
Diagnostic tests that may be done:
- CT of the head;
- MRI of the head;
- lumbar puncture.
12 Aug, 2017
12 Aug, 2017