Female Hair Loss
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 15, 2016
Alternative names: hair loss in women;hair loss in women;androgenetic alopecia women (incorrectly "androgenic" - thinning hair leading to baldness in men parietal and frontal areas, women - to thinning hair in the central parting of the head, usually - with the spread on the side surface of the head).
Female pattern baldness - a typical pattern of hair loss in women due to hormones, aging and genes.
cause of morbidity and risk factors of female pattern baldness
Hair grows from follicles at an average rate - about 15 mm per month.Each hair grows from 2 to 6 years and then the remaining drop.New hair soon begins to grow at the same place as before.At any time, about 85% of the hair grows, and the remaining 15% - a temporary break from the growth process.
Baldness occurs when hair falls out and the normal, healthy new hair does not grow in its place.The reason the new hair does not grow in women (female pattern baldness) is not fully understood, but it may be due to the following:
- changes in the level of androgens (male hormones).For example, many women find that after the menopause their hair on the head becomes thinner, while facial hair (for example, in the eyebrows) - thicker, coarser;
- a family history of male or female pattern baldness.
Hair loss can occur in women for reasons other than male pattern baldness, including the following:
- violation of the structure of hair (because of treatment, curling or hair twitching, and also because of possible violations, which are available for women with birth);
- some skin diseases that lead to scarring of the hair follicles;
- hormonal disorders - such as too much of the male hormone testosterone, a surplus or deficiency of thyroid hormones;
- iron deficiency;
- medicines, especially chemotherapy and beta-blockers;
- small hair loss (. Alopecia - a pathology associated with hair loss and thinning or absolute disappearance in various parts of the head or torso The most common types of alopecia include: androgenetic, symptomatic or diffuse, alopecia or alopecia, and traumatic scar);
- syphilis (systemic chronic infectious venereal disease with lesions of the mucous membranes, skin, bones, internal organs, nervous system, with a succession of stages of the disease, caused by bacteria of the order of spirochetes, kind of Treponema pallidum or Treponema pallidum subspecies pallidum is transmitted sexually are ill..syphilis equally often women and men, mainly - reproductive age);
- temporary hair loss after a serious illness, surgery or pregnancy (telogen effluvium - a common form of hair loss within 2 or 3 months after the high stress of the body: a long illness, a serious infection, or a complicated operation, as well as - after a dramatic change in hormone levels, especially. in women after childbirth and often Moderately hair falls out from all parts of the head While hair on some parts of the scalp may become thinner, you rarely see large bald spots on the head).;
- vitamin deficiency (e.g. biotin - a water-soluble vitamin B group vitamin biotin molecule consists of tetragidroimidazolnogo and tetrahydrothiophene ring, wherein one of the hydrogen atoms is substituted with valeric acid).
Symptoms female baldness
hair thinning and hair loss in women differs from male pattern baldness.With Female Pattern Baldness:
- hair thinning mostly in the upper part of the head, "the crown."It usually begins with the extension to the center of the hair;
- front hair line remains;
- hair loss rarely progresses to complete baldness, as happens in men.
itching or skin ulcers on the scalp, as a rule, are not observed.
Diagnostics female baldness
Female pattern baldness is usually diagnosed based on:
- the establishment of other causes of hair loss;
- appearance and hair loss patterns;
- the patient's medical history.
doctor will examine the woman on the other signs of alopecia, including an excess of male hormone androgen (androgens - general collective name of a group of steroid hormones that produce the sex glands and the adrenal cortex Androgens have the ability in certain concentrations cause Androgenesis, virilization of the body.):
- abnormal growth of new hair - for example, on the face or between the navel and pubic region;
- changes in menstrual periods and extension of the clitoris (unpaired sexual organ in women);
- new acne (pimples, boils, acne, acne - an inflammation of the sebaceous glands, inflammatory skin disease acne vulgaris develops in boys and girls during puberty and disappear gradually to 25-30 years on the emergence and exacerbation of acne is also affected.:.stress, heat, humidity, genetic factors, and the girls - menstruation also cause acne are often cosmetics containing lanolin and paraffin are also acne can be a side effect of some medications acne consists of a hair follicle and sebaceous gland is the most common....and practically incurable skin disease that is found in varying degrees in the majority of the young population of the planet).
skin biopsy (biopsy - a research method in which conducted intravital sampling of cells or tissue from the body for diagnostic purposes A biopsy is mandatory method of confirming the diagnosis of suspected presence of cancer tumors and cancer.) Or other procedures or blood tests may be used todiagnosis of skin diseases which cause hair loss.Analyzing
own hair, it is difficult to accurately diagnose all causes of hair loss, although there may reveal substances such as arsenic or lead.
Treatment female baldness
Hair loss from female pattern baldness will become permanent if left untreated.In most cases, hair loss in women is mild to moderate.A woman does not need treatment if she changes her hair or wear a wig.
only approved drug for the treatment of female pattern baldness - minoxidil, which is used for the scalp.
Women recommended concentration of Minoxidil - 2%.Minoxidil may help hair grow in 20% -25% of women.For most women, it may instead slow or stop the loss of hair.The treatment is expensive, so patients need to continue to use the medication.Hair loss starts again when the patient stops taking minoxidil.
Women, which does not help Minoxidil can also take spironolactone.Spironolactone may help women with hair loss is caused by an excess of male hormone androgen.However, this drug is not approved for female baldness, because it can lead to an increase in the level of potassium in the blood and can be used for people with kidney failure or pregnancy.
Hair transplantation - removing tiny samples of hair from areas where the hair is thicker, and their placement in the balding areas.This can cause minor scarring where the hair is removed, and is associated with some risk of skin infection.Many transplants are usually necessary session, which can be expensive.Nevertheless, the results are satisfactory and often permanent.
use of hair implants made of artificial fibers was banned due to the high level of the skin infection.Needlework (sewing) of hair on the hairy areas of the head and is not recommended.This can lead to scarring, infection and abscess of the scalp.
Hair weaving, hairpieces, or change of hairstyle may disguise hair loss and improve the appearance of women.This is often the cheapest and safest way for women to cope with hair loss.
Female pattern baldness usually does not mean that a woman has any medical disorder.However, baldness can affect many women self-esteem or cause them concern about physical appearance.
Complications: psychological stress and loss of self-esteem due to change in appearance.A woman should see a doctor immediately, if she has hair loss as well - itching, skin irritation or other symptoms.Any medical reason for hair loss can be curable.
preventative female baldness
There is no known prevention of female baldness.
20 May, 2016
20 May, 2016