Discharge from the ear ( otorrhea )
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative names: drainage from the ear;otorrhea (any discharge from the ear, often pus or blood observed in chronic inflammation of the middle ear - otitis media, may manifest itself as an individual phenomenon or overlap with other pathological conditions - such as earache; efflux of pus from tympanic cavity through a perforation in the eardrum; ear disease accompanied by secretions, which can be transparent or serous-hemorrhagic);pus or fluid from the ear, the earwax.
reasons for discharge from the ear
rupture the eardrum can cause a white, slightly bloody or yellow discharge from the ear.Dry crust on baby pillow is often a sign of rupture of the tympanic membrane.The eardrum may also bleed.
reasons rupture the eardrum include:
- foreign object in the ear canal;
- injury from being hit on the head, very loud noises or sudden pressure change (such as in an airplane);
- insert a cotton swab or other small objects into the ear;
- the middle part of ear infection (or "middle ear", which i
Other causes of bleeding from the ear discharge include:
- eczema and other skin irritations in the ear canal;
- symptoms such as itching, flaking, red or moist ear canal and pain that increases when a person rubs his earlobe.
Treatment and care
Home care depends on the causes of the disease.
patient should contact their doctor if:
- discharge from his ear - white, yellow, clear or bloody;
- bleeding from the ear is a result of the injury;
- bleeding lasts for more than 5 days;
- there is severe pain;
- bleeding associated with other symptoms - such as fever (hereinafter, this means: increased body temperature), or headache;
- has a hearing loss;
- there is redness or swelling that comes out of the ear canal.
doctor will perform the inspection inside the ears.It may ask the patient questions:
- when it started bleeding from the ear;
- how long it lasts;
- it is permanent or not;
- which still have symptoms of the patient (eg, fever, ear pain, headache, etc.).
doctor may take a sample of bleeding from the ear and send it to the lab for examination.Also, your doctor may recommend anti-inflammatory drugs or antibiotics for ear bleeding.Antibiotics can be taken orally, if the cause of the bleeding is the rupture of the tympanic membrane of an ear infection.
12 Aug, 2017
12 Aug, 2017