Pain in the knee
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative names: knee pain
Knee pain is a common symptom in people of all ages.It may start suddenly, often after an injury or exercise.Knee pain can also start as a mild discomfort, and then gradually increase.
Causes of knee pain
simple reason: knee pain is often diagnosed yourself.Excess weight can put people to greater risk of knee problems.
Knee pain can be caused by the following factors:
- blow the knee;
- arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and gout;
- Baker's cyst - a fluid-filled swelling behind the knee that may occur with swelling (inflammation) from other causes (such as arthritis);
- bursitis - inflammation from repeated pressure on the knee (for example, for a long period of time, frequent load on knees or injury);
- connective tissue diseases - such as systemic lupus erythematosus;
- dislocation of the patella;
- disorder ilio-tibial tract after a thigh injury on the outside of the knee;
- an infection in the joint;
- injured knee - anterior cr
- Osgood-Schlatter disease;
- tendinitis - pain in the front of the knee, which increases when the sick person goes up and down stairs or when he bends;
- torn cartilage (meniscus tear) - pain is felt on the inside or the outside of the knee joint;
- tore the anterior cruciate ligament, otherwise known as the ACL tear, which leads to pain and instability of the knee;
- strains and sprains - minor ligament injury caused by their sudden or unnatural twisting.
Less common conditions that can lead to knee pain include bone tumors.
Treatment of knee pain and care
home When knee pain that just started, we recommend:
- rest and avoid activities that aggravate the pain, especially activities with a load on his feet;
- put on a sore knee ice.Apply it every hour for 10-15 minutes.After the first use of the day it is not less than four times a day;
- to keep the knee elevated as much as possible to the tumor slept;
- to wear a pressure bandage or elastic golf, which is sold in most pharmacies.These tools can reduce swelling and support;
- take acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain and swelling;
- sleep with a pillow under the knees or between the knees.
When knee pain associated with excessive physical activity is necessary:
- always warm up the knee before a workout and cool after that.Stretch the hamstrings;
- Avoid working on slopes;
- turn the bicycle pedals or swim;
- reduce the amount of physical fitness exercises;
- walk and stand on a smooth, soft surface - such as a carpet or carpet, rather than on a solid concrete floor;
- to lose weight, if you are overweight.Each kilogram of excess weight produces about 5 kg of extra pressure on the kneecaps - especially when a person climbs or descends the stairs.We advise to talk to your doctor to doctor to help lose weight without harm to health;
- if the patient has flat feet, he should try the special shoe inserts and orthotics, insoles;
- make sure that the shoes or other footwear made good that they are comfortable and have good cushioning.
Tips to relieve knee pain bursitis:
- use ice three or four times a day for the first 2 or 3 days.Knee overlaid with a towel, put ice on it and keep it for 15 minutes.In no case do not fall asleep while using the ice.If you leave it too long, you can get frostbite;
- try not to stand on their feet for long periods of time.If need be, only on a soft surface.Stand should be, relying equally on each leg;
- when the patient is asleep, he does not have to lie on the side on which there is bursitis.We advise to put a pillow between your knees while lying on his side, to reduce pain;
- wear shoes without heels, soft and comfortable;
- if the patient's excess weight, it can help weight loss.
patient should consult a doctor in cases where:
- it can not withstand the load on the knees;
- he has a lot of pain in the knees, even when there is no load on them;
- strained knee;
- knee deformed;
- patient fever, redness of the knee, when it is hot or swollen;
- the patient has pain, swelling, numbness, tingling in the affected knee or if it becomes a bluish color;
- patient remained pain after 3 days of home treatment.
Your doctor will need to perform diagnostic testing knees, hips and other joints of the patient's feet.
To diagnose the cause of the problem, your doctor may ask the patient questions about his medical history - for example, are:
- when it started to hurt a knee;
- whether the patient before the pain in his knees;if so, what - what was their reason;
- how long did this episode of pain in the knees;
- the patient feels pain all the time - or from case to case;
- pain occur in only one or in both knees if;
- have pain around the knee or just in any one place the knee - for example, in the patella, in the outer or inner edge, or below the knee;
- whether it is severe pain;
- whether the patient to stand or walk with a sick knee;
- whether the patient's injury or accident with his knee;
- Do not overload the patient pace, especially in training, and as they pass;
- what procedures the patient tried to treat the knee at home;Did they;
- whether the patient also other symptoms - such as pain in the hip joints, edema or swelling of the knees or the entire leg, high temperature, etc.
following tests may be done to the patient:
- sowing knee fluid (fluid from the knee examined under a microscope);
- MRI of the knee joint, if a patient is suspected sprains, strains or meniscus;
- X-rays of the knee.
doctor may inject steroids into the knee to reduce them in pain and inflammation.
Perhaps the doctor would have to examine more carefully the stretch in the knee and prescribe the patient exercises on its strengthening and orthopedic consultation.
In some cases, you may need surgery on his knee.