Premenstrual tenderness and swelling of the breast
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative names : premenstrual breast tenderness;premenstrual breast swelling
Premenstrual swelling and tenderness of both breasts occurs during the second half of the menstrual cycle.
Symptoms of premenstrual breast tenderness (mammary glands) can range from mild to severe.Symptoms usually reach a maximum immediately before each menstrual period and improve immediately after or during menstruation.
breast tissue may be dense, rough to the touch like a stone that is usually more pronounced in the outer regions.It may also be intermittent or constant feeling of fullness chest with a dull, heavy pain.
Just before the middle of the menstrual cycle, estrogen levels increase and reach a peak.This causes an increase in mammary ducts.The peak of progesterone for approximately 21 minutes a day (28-day cycle) and causes growth of the breast lobules.
Premenstrual swelling and breast tenderness usually associated with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and fibrocystic mastopathy (benign breast changes).T
Premenstrual breast tenderness and swelling probably occur to some degree in almost all women.The symptoms are severe enough to cause concern.The limit function can occur in many women during their childbearing years.Risk factors may include family history, high fat content and excess caffeine.
reasons breast tenderness and swelling
- the menstrual cycle;
- estrogen medications, including birth control pills;
- teenage pregnancy;
- early pregnancy.
Treatment of pain and swelling of the breast
- reduce fat intake;
- reduce caffeine intake (coffee, tea, chocolate);
- avoid salt for 1-2 weeks before the onset of menstruation;
- vigorous exercise every day.
Every woman should perform monthly self breast exams.Good sitting bra should be worn day and night ?? to provide good support to the chest.
The effectiveness of vitamin E, vitamin B6, and herbal preparations, such as evening primrose oil - should be discussed with your doctor.
may be prescribed birth control pills to reduce the symptoms.
Diuretics (diuretics), taken during the premenstrual period, can reduce breast tumor.
prescription drugs "Depo Provera" may be needed to those who have premenstrual breast swelling.This drug relieves symptoms by eliminating menstrual cycles.However, it has serious side effects: may affect the childbearing function of women.Therefore, it can not accept those who still want to become pregnant.
Danazol - a synthetic androgen (male hormone) can be used in severe cases, where the potential benefits are believed to outweigh the possible negative side effects.If Danazol for a specific case does not work, it may be prescribed bromocriptine or tamoxifen.
- Breast cancer (breast cancer)
- mastectomy (breast removal) and breast reconstruction
- seals in the mammary gland
- breast ultrasound
patient should call your doctor if:
- there is a new, unusual change or thickening in the breast tissue;
- have sided lumps in breast tissue;
- the patient does not know how to perform a breast self-examination;
- sick woman - 40 years of age or older and have never had a mammogram;
- the patient has a discharge from the nipple, especially if they are bloody or brown;
- symptoms interfere with the ability to sleep, and changes in diet and exercise do not help.
must be performed diagnostic examination.Medical history questions premenstrual breast tenderness may include the following:
- whether such a condition occur at each menstrual period;
- Do you know how to do breast self-examination;
- Have you noticed the seals in any breast or discharge from the nipple;
- any symptoms are present yet.
Your doctor will check for seals in the mammary glands and at the same time pay attention to their quality (they are hard or soft, smooth or bumpy, and so on).
Diagnosis.Mammography and breast ultrasound can be performed to evaluate any violations found during the examination of breast.If they lymph nodes were found not clearly benign, it may be necessary breast biopsy (or both breasts).