Leykokoriya or white pupil
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Leykokoriya - a symptom in which the pupil of the eye appears white instead of black, as it should be.
pupil of the human eye, usually black.At the outbreak of the pupil of the camera may become red (a "red eye" or "red reflex"), which is completely normal.However, in some cases, a white glow in the lumen of the pupil and the pupil of the eye may be white.It is never a normal condition, and parents should immediately pay attention to it.
There are many different causes of white pupil.There are a number of symptoms that can also mimic white pupil.Corneal opacity (cataract), too, can look like a white pupil.Causes of corneal opacities are different from the causes of white pupil, but also are significant and require immediate medical attention.
- exudative retinopathy;
- congenital cataract (may be hereditary, and can also result from other conditions and symptoms, including congenital rubella, galactosemia, retrolental fibroplasia and so on);
- hyperplastic primar
- toxocariasis dogs (an infection caused by a parasite);
Diagnosis and treatment leykokorii
If a patient finds a white pupil, he should immediately make an appointment with a doctor.If the child develops a white pupil or cloud the cornea, you must immediately show this child to the doctor - preferably an ophthalmologist.
encourage the patient (or parent of a sick child) to see a doctor, if he noticed at (with your child) any changes to the color of the pupils or cornea.The doctor will need to perform a diagnostic examination and may ask questions - such as for example:
- when the patient first noticed this problem;
- in both eyes if there was the problem;
- whether any changes in vision there, including decreased vision, blurred vision or other vision problems;
- which still have symptoms of the patient;
- whether the patient's family history of diseases such as congenital cataract or retinoblastoma;
- whether the patient's eyes are mown;
- whether the patient has recently surgery on the eye.
diagnostic evaluation will include a detailed eye examination.
following tests may be performed:
- examination with a slit lamp;
- standard eye examination;
- test of visual acuity.
may be made and other tests, depending on the suspected cause, including CT or MRI of the head.
treatment will directly depend on the diagnosis.
12 Aug, 2017