Encyclopedia Symptoms / / May 01, 2016
Alternative names: stiffness in the joints;arthralgia;pain in the joints.
Joint pain can affect one or more joints.
reasons joint pain
Joint pain can be caused by many types of injuries or other conditions.No matter what the cause, joint pain can be excruciating.
Some things that can cause joint pain:
- autoimmune diseases - such as rheumatoid arthritis or systemic lupus erythematosus;
- chondromalacia patella;
- Gout (especially found in the big toe);
- infections caused by viruses, including:
- Epstein-Barr virus;
- Lyme disease;
- parvovirus B19;
- acute rheumatic fever;
- rubella (German measles);
- varicella (chickenpox);
- injuries, fractures;
- osteomyelitis (bone infection);
- septic arthritis (joint infections);
- unusual or excessive stress, including stretching.
Diagnosis and treatment of joint pain
Follow prescribed therapy in treating the underlying cause of the disease.When
neartricheskoy joint pain are important rest and exercise.Warm baths, massage and stretching exercises should be used as often as possible.
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can help with pain feel better.Anti-inflammatory medications can relieve pain and swelling.We recommend to consult a doctor before giving children aspirin or NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) - such as ibuprofen.
recommend to consult a doctor if:
- there is a high temperature, which is not associated with flu-like symptoms;
- BEAC loss, unwillingly;
- his pain lasting more than 3 days;
- there is a serious, unexplained joint pain - especially if at the same time there are other unexplained symptoms.
doctor should perform a diagnostic check and ask the patient questions about his medical history and symptoms, including the following:
- which it has joint pain;they are on one side or both sides;
- how long he had these pains and they were with him before;
- pain begins suddenly and harshly - or slowly and gently;
- each time the pain constant or come and go;Do they become more serious;
- which began with the pain;
- was whether the injured joint;
- whether the patient's disease or other high temperature;
- recreation reduces or increases the pain;
- movements reduce or increase the pain;
- whether there is a certain comfortable position;
- is there any medication, massage or application of heat to reduce pain;
- which still have symptoms of the patient;
- whether there is numbness of the joints;
- whether the patient can bend and straighten the joint;
- if joints become harder in the morning - if so, how long it was in the last time;
- which increases the hardness and stiffness of the joints.
tests that can be done include:
- common or differential blood tests;
- C-reactive protein;
- X-rays of the joints;
- ESR - erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR - erythrocyte sedimentation rate);
- blood tests specific for a variety of autoimmune disorders.
may be recommended as a means of rehabilitation physiotherapy muscles and joints.Also, the procedure may be necessary "puncture joint 'to remove liquid from the patient's joint.