Violation of smell
Encyclopedia Symptoms / / August 12, 2017
Alternative names: loss of smell, anosmia, hyposphresia, parosmiya
Violation of smell - a partial or complete loss of smell or an abnormal odor perception.
Loss of smell may occur with symptoms that do not allow air to reach the olfactory receptors located high up in the nose.These receptors may also be damaged.Loss of sense of smell is not a serious symptom, but sometimes it can be a sign of a pathological condition of the nervous system.
temporary loss of smell often occurs with colds and allergic rhinitis - for example, high body temperature, and allergic rhinitis.This may occur after a viral disease.
Often, loss of smell occurs with age.In most cases, no clear reasons for the loss of smell, as there is no specific treatment.
As is known, the sense of smell also enhances the taste.Many people who for some reason lose their sense of smell also complain that they are at the same time and lose the sense of taste.Most can still distinguish the taste of salty, sweet, sour and bitter.But other patien
Causes of olfactory
Loss of smell may be caused by such factors as:
- medications that alter or reduce the ability to detect odors (eg, amphetamines, estrogen, naphazoline, phenothiazines, nasal means long-term use,reserpine and possibly medicaments based on zinc);
- blockage of the nose due to nasal polyps, nasal septa, deformities and tumors;
- respiratory infections and allergies;
- endocrine disorders;
- Alzheimer's disease, dementia or other neurological problems;
- nutritional deficiencies;
- head trauma or nose;
- surgical treatment of the sinuses;
Diagnosis and treatment
reasons for treatment, which caused problems with the sense of smell can bring back the normal perception of odors.Treatment may include:
- antihistamines (if the problem relates to an allergy);
- changes in medication (dosage, combination, change of the drug);
- surgery to correct nasal septa;
- nasal treatment of other disorders.
not advise patients to use too many nasal decongestants, as this may lead to a re nasal congestion.
If the patient loses the sense of smell, he can have a change of taste.Adding to the diet strongly flavored foods can help stimulate and taste and olfactory sensations that the patient had so far.
improve their condition at home can use the smoke detector and the establishment of gas instead of electric devices because the patient can not smell gas, if there is a leak, especially in old age.It is also possible to install equipment that detects gas vapors in the building.People with loss of smell should celebrate for yourself the exact date and time when the food product has been opened, not to eat spoiled food.
There is no treatment of the loss of smell caused by aging.
If the patient has lost the sense of smell due to recently undergone an upper respiratory infection, be it because of this do not worry.His sense of smell may soon return to normal without treatment.
encourage the patient to see a doctor, if he:
- loss of smell continues or gets worse;
- there are other unexplained symptoms.
doctor will have to perform a diagnostic examination and may ask the patient questions about his medical history and current symptoms, such:
- when the problem first appeared;
- when there is a problem, all the smells are not audible or only some;
- whether in the sense of taste sense of smell influences;
- whether there is a cold or allergy symptoms;
- what medicines the patient takes;
- whether the patient's other symptoms.
doctor will have to examine the patient's nose and the area around it.
Diagnostic tests that may be performed:
- CT (computed tomography);
- magnetic resonance imaging (MRI);
- nasal endoscopy;
- testing of the olfactory nerve.
If anosmia caused by nasal congestion, then the patient may be prescribed decongestants or antihistamines.
vaporizer or humidifier can help the mucus in the nose freely.
also sick steroid nasal sprays or pills may be recommended.Vitamin A can be taken orally (by mouth) or prick.
12 Aug, 2017