Doppler ultrasound of hands and feet
Cardiovascular Diseases / / May 11, 2016
Doppler ultrasound - a test that uses ultrasound to study blood flow movement in arteries and veins of the hands and feet.The test is conducted in the radiology departments or ultrasound, and - peripheral vascular laboratory.
water-soluble gel is placed on a portable device - a transducer that sends high-frequency sound waves into the arteries or veins that are being tested.
In the study of the arteries is the following: a cuff for a blood pressure monitor can be placed around the various parts of the body including the thigh, calf, ankle and various points along the arms.The paste is applied to the skin in the area of arteries.Images are created as the sensor moves for each area of the patient's hands or feet.
How to prepare for Doppler ultrasound
patient need to take off your clothes to his arms and legs were open.This test does not cause almost any discomfort.
What held Doppler ultrasound
This test is carried out as an alternative to arteriography and venography.This may help dia
- atherosclerosis of the hands and feet;
- a blood clot (deep vein thrombosis);
- venous insufficiency;
- test can also be used to assess damage to the arteries and control of arterial reconstruction and bypass grafts.
- atherosclerosis of the limbs;
- deep vein thrombosis;
- superficial thrombophlebitis;
- thromboangiitis obliterans;
- vascular swelling of the hands or feet.
What are the normal results in ltrazvukovoy Doppler
«normal result" means that the blood vessels show no signs of narrowing or closure, and arteries have normal blood flow.
which means "abnormal result".These results may be due to:
- blockage of an artery by a blood clot, piece of fat or an air bubble;
- a blood clot in an artery or vein;
- constriction or dilation of the arteries;
- spastic arteries (arterial contraction caused by anything cold or emotion);
- venous occlusion (closing of vein).
cigarette smoking can alter the results of this test, because the nicotine can cause compression of the arteries in the extremities.Quitting smoking substantially reduces the risk of a cardiovascular problem.Most smoking-related deaths caused by cardiovascular diseases, not lung cancer.
- Coronary heart disease (angina, coronary heart disease and angina pectoris)
- Varicose veins: causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment
- How to get rid of varicose veins
- Combined surgery for varicoselower limbs
- Cholesterol and its types.Lowering cholesterol
Risks and complications in ltrazvukovoy Doppler
There are no risks specifically associated with this procedure.