Diet for gestational diabetes
Healthy Eating And Diet / / August 12, 2017
Alternative title:. gestational diabetes and diet
Gestational diabetes (gestational diabetes mellitus, GDM, gestational diabetes mellitus - a violation of carbohydrate metabolism usually occurs or is first detected in women during their pregnancy Prevalence of GDM often varies from 1..% to 14% depending on the population of women GDM develops if the body produces insufficient insulin -. hormone of the pancreas that regulates the level of the body needs, and serving as a source of blood sugar energy sugar, which at the moment the body does not use, postponed due to insulin as a backup. woman's body during pregnancy is necessary to produce more insulin in order to take into account the child's needs. this is especially true in the second half of pregnancy.
pancreas If women fail, the blood sugar level is higher than the norm, and then may develop gestational diabetes.This usually takes mellitus itself after birth, in contrast to other types of diabetes, which are chronic diseases) - high blood sugar
A balanced diet is an important part for any pregnant woman.The diet is even more important, if it - diabetes.
This article discusses the diet recommendations for women with gestational diabetes who do not take insulin.
- The best way to improve your diet - eat a variety of useful and healthy products.
- It is necessary to learn how to read food labels indicating ingredients and consult with doctors and nutritionists in making decisions about nutrition.
- Worth to talk to your doctor or dietitian, you are a vegetarian or if you practice some other special diet.In general, the diet should be moderate in fat and protein.
- It is necessary to provide controlled levels of carbohydrates through foods, including fruits, vegetables and complex carbohydrates (such as bread, cereals, pasta and rice).
- Reduce consumption of foods high in sugar - non-alcoholic beverages (soft drinks, syrups, cocktails, fruit drinks, kvass, fruit drinks, etc.), fruit juices and pastries.
- Try to eat three small and medium-sized meals and one or more snacks each day.Do not skip meals and snacks.Hold on, day after day the same amount and ratio of food types (carbohydrates, fats and proteins).
- Carbohydrates . Carbohydrates should make up less than half the number of calories that are sick (sick) eats.
Most carbohydrates are found in starchy or sugary foods - such as bread, rice, pasta, cereals, potatoes, peas, corn, fruit, fruit juices, milk, yogurt, cookies, candy and other sweets, baking soda.
good choice for health - foods high in fiber (eg cereals from whole grains).
vegetables (such as carrots, broccoli and spinach) much more positive effect on health than on blood sugar levels.
Obychnosoderzhanie carbohydrates in foods are measured in grams.You can learn how to count carbohydrates in foods that you like and that you eat.
- grains, beans and vegetables . Eat 5-6 servings or more a day.One serving - is: 1 slice of bread, about 30 grams of ready-to-eat cereal, half a cup of cooked rice or pasta or 1 savory baking.Foods such as bread, cereals, beans, rice, pasta and starchy vegetables are full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and healthy carbohydrates.
Select carbohydrate sources with lots of fiber.Eat whole grains - such as whole-grain bread or crackers, tortillas, bran cereal, brown rice or beans.Use whole grain or whole-wheat flour in cooking and baking.
Eat more low-fat breads - cakes, savory muffin, pita bread.
- Vegetables . Eat 3-5 servings a day.One serving - is: 1 cup of leafy green vegetables;1 cup cooked or chopped raw leafy vegetables;3/4 cup vegetable juice or 1/2 cup of chopped vegetables - cooked or raw.
Choose fresh or frozen vegetables without added sauces, fats, or salt.The patient should eat more dark green and yellow vegetables - spinach, broccoli, carrots and bell (vegetable) pepper.
- Fruits. Eat 2-4 servings a day.One serving - is: 1 medium whole fruit (such as banana, apple or orange);1/2 cup chopped, frozen, cooked or canned fruit or 3/4 cup of fruit juice.
Eat whole fruits more and more often than juice - in the whole fruit has more fiber.Citrus fruits - such as oranges, grapefruits, tangerines and lemons - are better, more useful.Choose fruit juices without added sweeteners or syrups.
Choose fresh fruits and juices, which lasts longer nutritional value than frozen or canned.
- Milk and dairy products . Eat 4 servings per day.One serving - is: 1 cup of milk or yogurt, hard cheese or 57 g of cream cheese.
Choose low-fat or nonfat milk or yogurt.As part of the yogurt has natural sugar, but do not buy yogurt with added artificial sugars or artificial sweeteners.
Dairy products are excellent source of protein, calcium and phosphorus (and although they control the levels of calories and cholesterol, however, choose a low-fat dairy products).
- Protein foods (meat, fish, dry beans, eggs and nuts) . Eat 2-3 servings a day.One serving - is this: 60-85 g of cooked meat, poultry or fish;1/2 cup cooked beans;1 egg or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (or nuts).
Eat fish and poultry more often than red meat.Remove the skin of chicken and turkey (their skin is not useful).Choose lean beef, veal, pork or game.
Cut all visible fat from meat.Bake, broil, cook on the grill or cook the meat.
Food products of this group are good sources of vitamins, proteins, iron and zinc.
- Sweets. Sweets are high in fat and sugar, so portion sizes should be very small.If diagnosed - "gestational diabetes", eat sweets, which are sugar-free.Separate your dessert with others.
- Fats. consume less butter and vegetable oil, margarine, salad dressings, desserts.But do not give up on fats and oils in your diet completely, asthey ensure the preservation of the body's long-term energy for growth and are essential for brain development.
In general, better to limit the intake of fatty foods, particularly high in saturated fat - hamburgers, cheese, bacon (any fatty meat) and any oil.
- Gestational diabetes
- Diet in diabetes
- Nutrition and diet in diabetes: the main recommendations
- diet in type 1 diabetes
- diet in type 2 diabetes
doctor may also offer a safe healthy life plan.Walking, as a rule - it is the easiest type of exercise, but not heavy swimming or other exercise can also work well for health.Physical exercises - an important way to keep blood sugar levels under control.