GMO foods : what are they dangerous?
Healthy Eating And Diet / / August 12, 2017
Genetically engineered foods (GMOs, genetically modified organism - an organism whose genotype is artificially modified by genetic engineering methods It can be applied to plants, animals and micro-organisms Genetic modification is different targeted changes in the genotype of an organism as opposed to random scientists...received no scientific evidence of increased danger products from genetically modified organisms, in comparison with the conventional products) have foreign genes (genes from other plants or animals), enclosed in their genetic code.
Historically, that for thousands of years farmers and bred selektsioniruyut plants and animals to achieve the desired quality.For example, they produced dogs ranging from poodles and dogs, and of fragrant roses roses odorless.Selection
time created large differences in the natural product, but to obtain the desired gene depends on the nature process.People choose to mate individual animals or plants that carry certain genes - to the desired characteristic
Genetic engineering allows scientists to speed up this process by moving desired genes from one plant to another, from an animal to a plant or vice versa.
potential benefits of genetically modified foods include:
- it is usually more nutritious food;
- it is usually more tasty food;
- is generally more resistant to disease and drought-resistant plants that require fewer environmental resources (water, fertilizer, etc.);
- these products - reduced amount of pesticides;
- increased food supply at a lower cost and longer shelf life;
- plants and animals grow faster;
- the food is the best quality (for example, a new, modified, potatoes are now frying absorbed less oil);
- medicinal products can be used as vaccines or other medicines.
P A potential risks
modified plants or animals, thus, may have unexpected and harmful genetic changes.
modified organisms can hybridize with natural organisms and to be higher in quality natural, and this can lead to the disappearance of the starting organism in nature or other unexpected impacts on the environment.Modified plants may be less resistant to certain pests and more susceptible to the other.
foods: tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, corn and soybeans - have been genetically modified using biotechnology.Many other products are currently still being developed new ingredients.
especially tested in the production and labeling of foodstuffs and medicines and are regulated genetically modified foods.Some people have raised concerns that genes from one food item inserted into another food product may cause allergic reactions.For example, if peanut genes are introduced into the tomatoes, in people with allergies to peanuts may be allergic to tomatoes.
- Learning to understand the labeling of food
- products How to avoid poisoning
- Useful and harmful products for liver
- read labels on products, or how to identify harmful food additives
Genetically engineered products are generally considered safe.However, until now it was not their testing to ensure complete safety of their consumption.Meanwhile, there are no reports of serious illness and because genetically engineered foods.Each new product of genetic engineering should be evaluated individually.