Scabies : causes, symptoms, treatment
Venereology / / May 01, 2016
Scabies - a parasitic, easily spread skin disease caused by a very small mite Sarcoptes scabiei .
cause of morbidity and risk factors of scabies
susceptible to infection with scabies people of all ages around the world.
Scabies is spread by direct contact with another person who has scabies.Less infection occurs indirectly through clothing, bedding or personal items of the infected scabies.Sometimes scabies affects entire families.
scabies outbreaks most prevalent in nursing homes, hospitals, college dormitories, centers for child care and child care centers.
mites that cause scabies, small eight-legged parasites size 1/3 cm, penetrate the skin and lay eggs.The larva forms a hole that looks like a pencil line, it is also called scabies progress.Itch mite hatches from the egg for 21 days.Reproduction scabies mite is very fast, in less than 3 months to receive 150 mln. Individuals.Mite life duration outside the body at room temperature is 5 to 14 days.At a temperature of 60 ° C
Cats, dogs and other animals can not spread the human scabies.Not to be confused with mange psevdochesotkoy at which mites that fall to the human skin from animals, birds and plants, only to bite human skin, but do not parasitize it.
also not very likely to be infected with scabies in the pool or bath.
Sexual contact is the most common form of infection among sexually active young people.However, other forms of physical contact, such as when the mother embraces their children enough to spread mites.
Symptoms of scabies
The main symptoms of scabies include:
- Itching, often at night and in the heat.In the first weeks of itching weak.Then he gradually becomes more intense, until a month or two, sleep becomes almost impossible.
- a rash of small nodules, bubbles, generally between the fingers and on the side surfaces of the fingers;
- Ulcers (bruises) on the skin, mainly due to scratching itchy places, often joins and purulent skin lesions;
- from pencil-thin, slightly elevated above the surface, whitish or dirty-gray lines on the skin, length from 1 mm to several centimeters.
important to note that symptoms may not appear for two months after infection occurred scabies.Even if the symptoms do not appear, the infected person is still able to spread the disease at this time.
Symptoms of scabies in children
- Children mites can be spread across the baby's skin, causing acne on the trunk, or small blisters on the palms and soles.
- In young children, the infection can be on the head, neck, shoulders, palms, and soles of the feet.
- In older children and adults, the infection can be localized on the hands, wrists, genitals and abdomen.
Diagnosis of scabies
Typically, the diagnosis is sufficient external skin examination for signs of scabies.However, to avoid errors and the need to conduct laboratory research, which is the purpose to detect the pathogen.A skin biopsy may also be done.
Before treatment should be thoroughly washed, and preferably boiled linen, towels and pajamas patient.Processing of personal items of the victim is also needed.Without attention must not go and door handles, toilet seat.
Carpets and upholstered furniture should be thoroughly vacuumed.
whole family or sexual partners of infected persons should be treated, even if they have no symptoms.
creams for scabies:
- The most commonly used Permethrin cream 5%.Permethrin is an effective and safe drug for the treatment of scabies.After a single treatment cured the percentage is 89-98%.
- Among other ointments prescribed for scabies Benzyl 20-25%, which is produced in the form of water-soap emulsion and maintains its effectiveness for 7 days after preparation.Its rubbed into the skin 2 times a day for 10 minutes with a 10 minute break in the first and fourth day of treatment.After treatment, the patient should bathe and change clothes.
- ointment Wilkinson, 20-33% sulfuric ointment.Treatment of this ointment was carried out for 5 days in a row, by rubbing into the affected area of the skin.Sulfur is safe for use in pregnant women and infants.
- Crotamiton (Eurax, Crotan).It is used in the form of a 10% cream, lotion or ointment is rubbed into the clean skin 2 times per day with a daily intervals or four times every 12 hours for 2 days.It is not intended for use in children.
- Lindane is rarely used because of its side effects.His (1%) is applied once to the entire surface of the skin and left for 6 hrs., Then rinsed.The drug is also available as well as a 1% cream, shampoo, powder, 1- 2% ointment.Since lindane can cause seizures, when excessive entry into the body through the skin, it should not be used in extensive skin diseases.Lindane should not use pregnant or lactating women, the elderly, patients with skin ulcers at the site of application, children under the age of 2 years, or people whose weight is less than 50 kg.
- The hard-to-treat cases, the doctor may also prescribe Ivermectin tablets.
- Reception antihistamines can help relieve itching.
hot shower or bath, using soap and washcloths help mechanical removal of ticks from the skin and soften the surface of the epidermis to facilitate penetration of antiparasitic drugs inside.
- Sycosis ordinary
- Warts.Types of warts.Treatment of warts
- Multiple abscesses in children (psevdofurunkulez Finger)
Expectations (prognosis) scabies
Itching may last for 2 weeks or more after treatment.In most cases, scabies can be cured without any long-term problems.
recovery control is carried out 3 days after the end of treatment, and then every 10 days for 1.5 months.
Intense itching of scabies results in lengthy and often intense scratching of the skin.Damaged skin is the risk for the development of secondary bacterial skin infections, such as Staphylococcus aureus and beta-hemolytic streptococcus.The scratches may lead to secondary skin infections such as impetigo.
to prevention of scabies primarily relates personal hygiene:
- Careful hand washing;
- cleaning of premises;
- Ironing clothes and bed linen;
- If possible, avoid wearing other people's things and let not your own.
21 May, 2016
21 May, 2016