Vitamins And Dietary Supplements / / May 10, 2016
Alternative names: additives in food;artificial flavors.
Additives - are substances that become part of the food when they are added during the manufacture or treatment of a particular food.
direct food additives are often added during processing to:
- added to food nutrients;
- speed up the process of cooking;
- keep the product fresh;
- make the food more appealing.
direct food additives may be man-made or natural (natural).Natural supplements include:
- adding herbs or spices in the food;
- food (usually vegetables, fruit or berries) in vinegar;
- the use of salt to preserve meat.
Indirect food additives are substances that may be in the food during or after their treatment.These additives are present in the product in small amounts.
There are five main functions of food additives:
- they give the food a smooth and harmonious structure;
- emulsifiers prevent foods from decay;
- stabilizers and thickeners provide uniform texture products;
- anticaking agents allow substances to flow fre
- all supplements improve or maintain nutritional value of products.
Many foods and drinks fortified with vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in many foods - such as flour, cereals, margarine and milk.This helps to fill supply of vitamins or minerals, which may be small or is missing, not sufficient in the human diet.
All products that contain added nutrients in them, have to be specially marked (on the labels of such products should be required to indicate that they contain food additives).
- Preservatives. Bacteria and other harmful germs can cause food-borne diseases.Preservatives reduce spoilage, which may be caused by air, fungi, bacteria or yeast.
Some food preservatives help keep the flavor in bakery products, preventing their deterioration of fat and oil.
also food preservatives keep fresh fruits from turning brown when exposed to air.
- Management acid-base balance of food and fermentation. Some food additives help change the acid-base balance of foods to get some of their flavor and color.
Leavening agents that release acid when heated, react to them and contained in the baking soda to help biscuits, cakes, pies and other baked goods to rise and have an easier and "air" (not heavy and dense) dough.
- dyes and flavor enhancers. Certain color supplements (eg, made of tomatoes, vegetable pepper, etc.) to improve the appearance of products.
Many spices, as well as natural and man-made scents, identify and highlight the flavor of food (often these flavors are added to the sausages).
Side effects supplements
Most concerns about food additives regards artificial ingredients that are added to foods, including:
- antibiotics, which were treated with productive animals;
- antioxidants in the oily or fatty foods (preventing them from oxidation and spoilage);
- artificial sweeteners - such as aspartame, saccharin and sodium cyclamate;
- benzoic acid in fruit juices;
- lecithin, gelatin, corn starch, waxes, resins and propylene glycol in food emulsifiers and stabilizers;
- a variety of different artificial colors and dyes;
- sodium glutamate;
- nitrates and nitrites in hot dogs and other meat products;
- Sulfites in beer, wine and packaged vegetables.
Food and Drug Administration has a list of food additives that are considered safe.Many of them have not been tested, but the majority of scientists are considered safe.These substances are included in the list of safer products containing about 700 points.Examples of elements in this list: guar gum (a food thickener and stabilizer, often used in the production of meat products), sugar, salt and vinegar.The list is regularly re-checked.
Some substances which, in fact, be harmful to humans or animals, may still be allowed, but only at 1 / 100th of a size ( "harmful products").People with any allergies or food intolerance for their own protection and to protect their loved ones from the dangers of diseases should always check the list of ingredients on the labels of all the purchased (especially in shops, supermarkets) products.Reaction to any additive can be mild or severe.
still important to collect and study information on the safety of food additives and of any possible reactions of different people on them.
encourage food producers carefully and with responsibility to control and regulate the use of food additives in manufactured and sold by them.Also from each food group is required to list all the ingredients included in the product manufactured by them on the label.
But people who are prescribed or that special diet or who have intolerance to a particular product should be very careful and cautious in the selection of products in grocery stores.
11 Jun, 2016