Magnesium: the lack and the excess of magnesium , magnesium rules
Vitamins And Dietary Supplements / / May 08, 2016
Magnesium is an essential element in human nutrition, is involved in many biochemical reactions, he is one of the most important components in the regulation of the majority of physiological processes.
Magnesium in the body serves several important functions:
- contraction and relaxation of muscles;
- regulation of metabolism (metabolism of carbohydrate, lipid and protein);
- the production of certain enzymes in the body;
- energy production and transportation;
- help in the assimilation of B vitamins;
- to maintain electrolyte balance;
- boosts immunity;
- is involved in thermoregulation of the body;
- regulates the permeability of cell membranes;
- has a vasodilatory effect;
- participates in protein production;
Dietary sources of magnesium
Most dietary magnesium types are derived from vegetables - such as, especially dark-green, leafy vegetables.Other products that are good sources of magnesium is:
- vegetables or fruits (e.g., bananas, dried apricot, avocado);
- nuts (such as almonds and
- peas and beans (legumes), sunflower seeds or pumpkin;
- soy products (such as soy flour and tofu);
- whole grains (such as brown rice and millet).
daily requirement for magnesium
daily requirement for magnesium is 0.05% of body weight.On average, this amounts to about 400 mg.
magnesium daily norm for children and students
- 1-3 years: 80 milligrams (mg)
- 4-8 years: 130 mg
- 9-13 years: 240 mg
- 14-18 years (boys and young men): 410 mg
- 14-18 years (girls and women): 360 mg
magnesium daily norm for adolescents and adults
- women: 310-320 mg
- Pregnant women: 350-400 mg
- Nursingwomen: 310-360 mg
- Men: 400-420 mg.
excess and lack of magnesium in the body
Side effects from increased magnesium intake are not common because the body itself is usually removes excess amount of magnesium.Magnesium excess almost always occurs only when magnesium is supplemented as a medication.
Lack of magnesium (deficiency) is rare.Symptoms of lack of magnesium include:
- excessive excitability;
- muscle weakness;
Magnesium deficiency can occur in people who abuse alcohol or those who absorbs less magnesium due to:
- some medicines;
- low levels of calcium in the blood;
- absorption of nutrients from the problems of the gastrointestinal tract (malabsorption or malabsorption syndrome);
- surgery in the patient's body.
symptoms associated with a lack of magnesium, there are three categories: early, moderate magnesium deficiency and severe magnesium deficiency.
- muscle twitching;
- bad memory;
- decreased ability to learn.
Symptoms of mild deficiency:
- cardiovascular changes;
- heart palpitations.
Symptoms of severe deficiency:
- the continuation and strengthening of muscle contraction;
- vision and hearing what is not there (hallucinations);
- tingling in the muscles.
09 Jun, 2016
09 Jun, 2016