Breastfeeding : frequently asked questions
Children And Health / / August 12, 2017
decision to breastfeed or not - this is a decision that can only accept a woman who gave birth to a child, his mother.But this procedure deserves a lot of attention.
Experts agree that breastfeeding a child for a long time - healthier than bottle-feeding the baby formula milk ready.
Breast milk is a natural source of nutrition for infants younger than 1 year.
Breastfeeding can take a lot of time and effort.However, with the help of experts on breastfeeding - doctors and nurses, breastfeeding women can learn about all the advantages and benefits of breastfeeding compared to artificial feeding the baby.
benefits of breastfeeding for the child
Breast milk is the best source of nutrition for the first 6 months of life.It contains the right amount of it of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
necessary to ensure the infant digestive proteins (enzymes), minerals, vitamins and hormones.The child has the antibodies from the mother that can help him in the fight against infections.
Infants who are brea
- ear infections;
- gas, diarrhea, constipation;
- skin disorders (such as eczema);
- Stomach or intestinal infections;
- respiratory infections - such as pneumonia and bronchiolitis.
Infants may have a lower risk of developing:
- obesity or weight problems;
- sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS);
benefits of breastfeeding for mothers
For mothers, breast-feeding the baby, and there are some advantages and benefits:
- a unique bond between mother and child;
- a great loss of excess weight;
- less likely menstrual cycles during periods of breast-feeding;
- reducing the risk of developing breast cancer and some types of ovarian cancer;
- may lower the risk of osteoporosis;
- reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and obesity.
Breastfeeding can save time and money due to:
- lower cost of natural feeding (savings of the family budget, since baby food is quite expensive);
- no need to wash the bottle;
- it is not necessary to prepare it, how to feed babies formula.
What children can breastfeed
Some things may change plans breastfeeding mother.And the fact that the child is eating, may depend on the child's health and the health of his mother.However, most children, even premature, you can breast-feed, if a woman gets help and expert advice on lactation.
Some children can not drink enough breast milk during breastfeeding, due to:
- congenital malformations of the mouth (such as for example "cleft lip" or "cleft palate");
- difficulty sucking (sucking reflex failure);
- digestive problems (such as galactosemia);
- premature birth;
- too small size of the mother nipple.
Contraindications for breastfeeding
needed expert advice on breastfeeding, if a woman has a disease such as:
- breast cancer or any other type of cancer;
- breast infection or breast abscess;
- non-perception of the milk;
- previous surgery or radiation therapy.
Breastfeeding is not recommended for mothers who have certain health problems - such as for example:
- active herpes sores on the chest;
- active tuberculosis;
- infection with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) ??or AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome);
- severe heart disease, or various types of cancer;
- acute malnutrition.
- Artificial feeding: a review
- infant formula Can I give cow's milk to newborns
- norms of physical and mental development of children 0-5 years
- Baby Massage: a massage newborn
- skin problems in the newborn: baby rash, heat rash, diaper rash
breastfeeding problems are common to most mothers.So do not be afraid to ask for help.Most problems can be easily solved or cured.If a woman has certain problems of breast (natural) feeding, advise her to contact a consultant on breastfeeding or pediatrician.
Breastfeeding a child may be convenient and stress-free.But it takes time and practice.Recommended start to breastfeed your baby in the hospital (maternity hospital), immediately after his birth.You may need to consult a specialist for lactation to feed the child the woman began to immediately correct.We recommend reading more about breastfeeding before the baby is born.
common problem - the possible pain or discomfort in the mother or the child in the first few days or weeks of feeding.Some nursing mothers talk about nipple soreness (tingling, itching, burning, etc.).Over time, a woman should feel better.
soreness can be caused by many things, including:
- poor feeding equipment;
- incorrect position of the baby during breast-feeding;
- lack of proper care for the nipples, their necessary hygiene.
What determines the amount of breast milk?
demand for milk in the child determines the amount of milk the mother.Frequent feedings, adequate rest, proper nutrition and adequate mother, her fluid intake can help maintain a good supply of milk.
checking weight and growth is often the best way to ensure that the child receives enough milk.If a woman has a question about how much breast milk the baby gets it, she needed to talk about it with your doctor.
it possible to continue breastfeeding during mastitis and thrush
breast infection (mastitis) causes pain in the muscles, fever, redness on one breast.It is necessary to seek medical advice if they develop symptoms.
- Yeast Infection. Thrush (or vaginal candidiasis) is a common yeast infection that can be transmitted from mother to child during breastfeeding.the child's mouth and the mother's nipples - a comfortable place for the growth of yeast, yeast infections are usually difficult to cure, but fortunately, it is rare.Fungal infections often occur during or after treatment with antibiotics.
- Diseases of a nursing mother. If the temperature rises or there is discomfort in the breast, a woman should see a doctor.It can safely continue to breastfeed for most diseases, and child in this case, is likely to get him to the antibody.Breast milk is safe for the child, even if a woman has a breast infection.Odnko nursing mother definitely needs treatment.
Treatment usually includes:
- antibiotics for infections;
- moist, warm compresses the infected area;
- wearing a comfortable bra between feedings.
12 Aug, 2017
12 Aug, 2017