Skin problems in the newborn: baby rash, heat rash , diaper rash
Children And Health / / August 12, 2017
A rash is a change in the color or texture of the skin.Skin rash can be flat, bumpy, scaly, red skin color or slightly lighter or darker than the color of the skin.Most of the redness and spots on the skin of a newborn baby are harmless and go away on their own.
By far the most common skin problem in infants is diaper rash.Diaper rash is a skin irritation caused by dampness, urine or feces.Most of the children who wear diapers, faced with certain types of diaper rash.However, there are other skin diseases, which may cause a rash.But they are usually not serious, if not accompanied by other symptoms.
common types and causes of diaper rash in infants
- Intertrigo (rash in the diaper area) is a skin irritation caused by prolonged dampness and the interaction of urine and feces with the skin.
- Yeast diaper rash caused in Candida yeast type, which also causes yeast infection of the mouth.This rash is different from the usual rash caused by diaper rash.It is a red and usually with
- Heat rash, or prickly heat is caused by the blocking of pores, which leads to blockage of the sweat glands.It is most common in very young children, but can occur at any age, especially in hot and humid weather.The child does not sweat, which leads to the formation of the skin of small red bumps or occasionally small blisters.
- Toxic erythema of the newborn can cause flat red spots (usually with white bubbles as the rod in the middle) that appear in half of all infants.This rash rarely appears after 5 days of age, as a rule, takes place on 7 - 14 days, and nothing to worry about.
- Baby acne is caused by the influence of the mother hormones.Red bumps, sometimes with white dots in the center, can be seen on the face of a newborn.Acne typically occurs between 2 and 4 weeks of age, but may appear after 3-4 months after birth and last for 12 - 18 months.
- Seborrheic dermatitis is a round red patches covered with a flaky crust located mainly on the scalp, which appear in the first 3 months of life.It is caused by a yeast fungus Malassezia furfur.Seborrheic dermatitis usually resolves itself, but in some cases may need treatment with drugs.
- Eczema is characterized by dry, flaky skin, its pockets are usually red (or darker than normal skin color), redness, itching accompanied me.If eczema persists for a long time, its thickened region.It is frequently associated with asthma and allergies, although it may often occur without them.Eczema is often inherited.
Skin Care newborn
main task - to keep the skin dry.It is necessary to change wet diapers as often as possible.Let your baby's skin to air dry until it will be possible.Wash baby clothes and diapers with mild soap or baby powder, rinsing them thoroughly.Do not use synthetic sliders or tights.Avoid irritating tissue, particularly those containing an alcohol at a child purification.
Ointments and creams may help reduce friction and protect the baby's skin from irritation.Powders, such as talc or corn starch should be used with caution as they may be inhaled and cause child lung injury.
If your child has a yeast diaper rash from, the doctor will prescribe a cream to treat it.
Intertrigo or prickly heat is best treated through natural ventilation of the affected skin and less humid environment for a child.Avoid ointments and creams because they tend to keep the heat and block the pores of the skin.
Toxic erythema normal in newborns and will disappear by itself within a few days.You do not need to do anything for it.
Thorough washing clothes and bathing, usually all that is needed for the treatment of acne in a child.Use ordinary tap water and mild baby soap to bathe the child at least once every 2-3 days.Do not use medications for acne that are recommended for adolescents and adults.
In seborrheic dermatitis, it is recommended to wash your hair and scalp with water or a mild baby shampoo.Use a brush to remove the dry skin flakes.If the flake can not be easily removed, rub oil into the scalp to soften it.
When the skin problems associated with eczema, it is recommended to use a soft cotton clothes, reduces irritation and do not injure the baby's skin, so it is important to keep the skin of your baby hydrated.
Keep nails short of the child and to consider the establishment of soft gloves on the child at night to minimize scratching.Avoid the use of soap containing alkali and the factors that have caused skin irritation in the past (including food).
Apply a moisturizing cream or ointment immediately after baths to avoid it drying out.Do not bathe the baby in hot water.
Talk to your doctor if these measures do not control the eczema, (your child may need medical treatment), or if the skin begin to show signs of infection.In children suffering from eczema in infancy, the skin remains sensitive for a long time, including mature age.
Call your pediatrician if your child:
- Fever or other unexplained symptoms associated with a rash
- Any areas that look wet, bleeding, reddened or showing signs
infection - rash that spreadsbeyond the diaper area
- rash has spread in the skin folds
- rash, blemishes, pimples, or discoloration persists for more than 3 months
- No improvement after 3 days of home treatment
- significant scratches
- cause significant discomfort child(eg, disrupts sleep)
Diagnosis and treatment of rashes in infants
Your pediatrician will need to perform a physical examination of the child.His baby's skin will be thoroughly examined with a view to opredleniya degree and type of rash.Bring a list of all the products used on the skin of the child.
At the doctor's as detailed as possible, try to answer the following questions:
When a rash?
whether it began suddenly (within hours) or slowly and gradually?
Were skin irritation symptoms at birth or in infancy?At what age exactly?
Are the symptoms of fever, or the result came after the relief?
When there is an eruption: after skin injury, bathing, or exposure to the sun or cold?As
rash look like?
Do red spots?Or it looks like small red areas or blisters?
It looks like a bruise?
It looks like a rash, red welts that appear and are held in different parts of the body and are very itchy?
Looks whether the skin is dry and tough?
The extent to which a rash appears and whether the crust formed?
if the rash spreads to other areas?
What other symptoms are also present?
What kind of soaps and detergents you use?
What skin care products you're still using the child (creams, lotions, oils, perfumes)?
your child is taking any medication?How long?
your child recently ate new products?
your child has been in contact with grass, flowers, and other plants in recent years?
your child is sick recently?
your child or anyone in your family suffers from allergies?
there any other skin problems in your family?
Additional methods of diagnosis, usually rarely required, but may include the following:
- patch test
- blood tests
- microscopic examination of a sample of the affected skin
Depending on the cause of the rash may be recommended antihistaminespreparations to reduce itching.Antibiotics may be prescribed if there is a bacterial infection.
doctor may prescribe a cream for diaper rash caused by yeast.In severe cases, the child's rash is not caused by yeast, corticosteroids (hormonal) creams may be recommended.
For eczema, the doctor may prescribe ointments or cortisone drugs to reduce inflammation.
Prevention rash, prickly heat and diaper rash in children
- During the hot season, wear child in a light, soft, cotton clothes.Cotton is an excellent absorber and protects baby's skin from moisture.
- If air conditioning is not available, a fan may help evaporate moisture and cool the baby.You can also use a hair dryer, but only in the warm air flow mode, and as far as possible from the surface of the skin of the child, that would not prevent a burn (but not in the case of dry skin).
- Install the fan far enough that only a light breeze drifted over the child.
- Avoid the use of detergents, creams and ointments.
- If possible, do not use diapers, or cut them while wearing a child.Use them only during the sleep of the child.The clock bodrstvaniya allow your child some time to be naked (assuming a comfortable room temperature).
- Regularly bathe and to wash your baby even without the use of soap, it is especially important when changing nappies.