The appearance of premature babies
Children And Health / / May 02, 2016
Appearance premature babies has features that are directly dependent on the duration of pregnancy.The less gestational age, the more such features and are expressed to a greater extent.Some of them can be used as additional tests for determining the approximate gestational age.
1. Small size. low growth and low power inherent in all premature, with the exception of children born with a body weight of more than 2500 Despite the low power, premature, even the most underweight, do not impress depleted, dystrophic children, as their weight corresponds to the length of the body,they just look miniature.The presence at the birth of wrinkled and sagging skin is characteristic of children with intrauterine malnutrition and later observed in patients with preterm, who for various reasons were given greater weight loss or weight have a flat curve.
2. Disproportionate body. have a premature baby, relatively large head and body, short neck and legs, low location of the navel.These features are due in part
3. Severe flushing of the skin. most affect the fruit.
4. Expressed lanugo. have LBW preterm soft vellus hairs are not only on the shoulders and back, but abundantly cover the forehead, cheeks, hips and buttocks.
5. gaping gender gap. Girls due to underdevelopment of the labia majora and pudendal cleft gaping clearly visible clitoris.
6. Empty scrotum. process of testicular descent into the scrotum occurs at the 7 th month of intrauterine life.However, it may be delayed for various reasons.At very preterm boys testicles often lowered into the scrotum and the groin are channels or in the abdomen.Their presence in the scrotum indicates that the baby's gestational age greater than 28 weeks.
7. Underdevelopment fingernails. the time of the birth of the nails, even the most LBW infants is well established and fully cover the nail bed, but often do not reach the fingertips.The latter is used as a test to measure the degree of polish.According to foreign authors, nails reach the fingertips at 32-35 weeks of pregnancy, and for a period exceeding 35 weeks in favor of their edges.According to our observations, the nails may reach the fingertips already in the 28th week.The assessment is made in the first 5 days of life.
- characteristics of preterm infants.The notion of prematurity
- Intrauterine malnutrition
- Breastfeeding: common questions
- Classification premature babies
- norms of physical and mental development of children 0-5 years
8. Soft ears. Due to underdevelopment of the cartilage tissue in LBW infants often ears are folded inward and stick together.
9. The predominance of facial cranium.
10. Small fontanelle is always open.
11. Underdevelopment breast. Premature babies lack of physiological engorgement of the breast.Exceptions are children, gestational age greater than 35-36 weeks.Breast engorgement in children weighing less than 1800 g evidence of intrauterine malnutrition.
12 May, 2016
12 May, 2016