Healthy snacks and drinks for children
Children And Health / / April 23, 2016
Choosing healthy snacks and drinks to children can be a challenge.It is necessary to choose them very carefully and cautiously.
Fruits and vegetables are a good choice for a healthy diet.They are full and vitamins are low in calories and fat.Some low-fat crackers and cheese are also good snacks.
Examples of healthy snacks: apples (dried or chopped), bananas, raisins, fruit with the peel (or dried fruit, mashed potatoes), carrots (cut into strips to make it easy and convenient to her to chew), peas (with edible pods), nuts (if the child has allergies to them), dry grain (if the sugar is indicated on the product label such as one of the first two ingredients), pretzels, cheese.
- Lay snacks in small packages, so you can be easily carried around in your pocket or bag.It will also help to give the child the right of the snacks.
- Do not allow children to such fast-food snacks like chips, candy, cakes, cookies and ice cream.The best way to keep children from junk food or unhealthy sn
- It's okay - once to offer a child a particular unhealthy snack if never allow any unhealthy snacks or sweets, it can lead to the fact that the child begins to secretly eat these foods.There should be a balance.
- Replace fruit candy.
- If the parents are in the home products, such as cookies, chips, or ice cream, it is better to store them where the child would have been difficult to see them or take.Put the ice cream in the back of the freezer, on a high shelf.A healthy food place, contrary to the child's eye level.
- If the family is eating snacks while watching TV, it is better to put some of the food in a bowl or on a plate for each person: if there is a right out of the package, it is easy to overeat.
- If the parent is not sure that a healthy snack, we advise him to read carefully the label on the product.If calories from fat more than half of the total number of calories, such a snack - not healthy, and it is not worth taking.Pay special attention to the portion size listed on the label.It is easy to eat more than this portion.Do not take snacks, in which the sugar is listed as the very first ingredient.
Range of beverages
- Encourage children to drink plenty of water.
- Do not let children or carbonated sports drinks, lemonades, flavored liquid, especially made with sugar, syrup, sugary fruit drinks.These full calorie drinks, which can lead to weight gain, even in active children.If necessary, you need to choose drinks with artificial (man-made) sweeteners.
- Children aged 2-8 years should drink 1.5-2 cups of milk a day.Children older than 8 years - 3 cups per day.It may be helpful for children to drink milk with meals and between meals and snacks.
- Even 100% juices can add weight.A child who drinks 340 ml of orange juice every day can get up to 7 kg per year, if they have enough calories.
- If a child prefers instead of water or juice flavored drinks, try to dilute these drinks with water.One can start by adding only a small amount of water, and then gradually increase it.Children aged 1-6 years should drink no more than 115-170 ml of 100% fruit juice per day.Children aged 7-18 years - no more than 230-340 ml of fruit juice per day.
- refusal child from eating and fear of new products
- Artificial feeding: a review of infant formula
- Breastfeeding: common questions
- Rekomndatsii healthy eating for children of different ages
- CAt what age should give children vitamins
sizes of snacks should be right for the child.For example, you can give half a banana 2-year-old child and a 10-year-old banana.
Choose child foods that are low in fat and sugar and high in fiber and water.This means that an apple - much better than a bag of chips.
Naturally sweetened foods are better than foods and drinks that contain a lot of sugar.Fresh fruit - is a healthier choice than fruit drinks.Food and drinks on the label which the sugar or syrup listed as one of the first ingredients - not a healthy choice.
Avoid fried foods such as french fries, onion rings and other fried snacks.
If parents have difficulty to find your child healthy snacks that children can eat, we strongly recommend they talk to a dietitian or physician to produce the correct, healthy diet for the whole family and especially for children.
14 May, 2016